Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Alembic replacement pickups
 Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:03 pm 

Alembic is a fine established company that makes fine products. But only RIC pickups sound good in a Rick. Period.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 pm 

Quote:
Alembic is a fine established company that makes fine products. But only RIC pickups sound good in a Rick. Period.

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you... The Reciprocal Function of an Open mind!

Just messin around! you know we love ya!

I'd like to hear these pickups in a bass sometime... if they really sound 800$ Better... WHY NOT? I fear they may only sound about 500$ better and they're trying to rip me off! hahaha!

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:34 pm 

For some reason, a lot of people here (Russia) like to butcher their Rick basses MERCILESSLY! :-(

In the last few years, I have seen Rickenbacker basses with active Duncans, with active EMGs, and numerous aftermarket passive pups come through our shop.

And while they were all still perfectly usable basses - NONE of them could really get those classic "Rickenbacker" sounds anymore.

Why mess with perfection?? :-)

Not to take anything away from Alembics, but their pickups DO have an unusual frequency response that is VERY DIFFERENT from a traditional Rickenbacker single-coil.

Even tweaking extensively with the (admittedly very versatile!!) low-pass filter circuit does not take away the distinct "alembic" character.

I have personally installed Alembic pickups and tone circuitry in a couple of prototype instruments in the past couple of years, and IMHO they are DEFINITELY what would be considered an "acquired taste" for probably 95% of bass players...

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:29 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you... The Reciprocal Function of an Open mind!

Just messin around! you know we love ya!

It has nothing to do with the openness of mind or lack thereof. It has everything to do with over 30 years playing guitar and bass, and owning multiple Ricks and literally scores of other instruments, and getting to hang out with the owners of music stores and getting to play or at least try out just about everything on the planet at one time or another, including the real and original versions of all the guitars that are now "reissued."

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:06 am 

I would never consider cutting into the bodies of my guitars for an aftermarket type modification. In addition to the cost, it would seem that some serious routing would be required, both for the pickups, and for the active circuitry, all to achieve tonal results that may be far from satisfactory to the player.

Even if one bassist has done this mod and loves it, the next bassist who tries it may be far less satisfied. If dissatisfied with the reult, one would not be able to return the bass to its original condition as it would have been swiss-cheesed by means of router.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:05 am 

Alembic basses get most of their sound from their electronics. If you install the Alembic circuitry in your RIC bass, you'll lose most or all of the character of the RIC bass sound. You can spend tons of time and money trying different pickup/electronics mods in your RIC bass. I've done it, and never did it amount to any significant improvement over the stock stuff. You're better off just getting a different bass if you want to add more sounds to your arsenal. If you really want Alembic tone, you don't need to spend a large chunk of cash on a new Series bass, the more basic models with fewer frills such as the Epic are wonderful basses and can be bought used for reasonable cash.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:13 am 

Quote:

Pretty much. Or, as I said, putting different pickups in a RIC bass won't improve things to any great extent. Better off adding another bass to your arsenal. A nice active instrument makes a good addition if a RIC bass is your only bass.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:16 am 

You see so many modified RIC basses out in the world it's just crazy. By doing this it seems like people are searching for something that just isn't there..
Leave 'em stock folks...

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:37 pm 

I've done a bit of research on this and thought I'd clear up a few things.

Firstly, RIC's are my first love. I currently own a 1995 4001 CS, a 1988 4001 V63, a 4001 C64S, a 1981 4001, a 4003 DCM, a 2006 4003 Monty, and I have a 4004Cii and a 4003FL AFG on order.

Yes, I love my RIC's!

BUT, I also have a very fond place in my heart for Alembic's. While they ARE expensive, they do offer some beneficial differences that work well for me. As I've gotten older, and health issues cause the need for a lighter bass, my Alembic collection has dwindled and is now gone.

I miss the sound and the benefit of active pickups. I'm playing with the idea of installing a set of Alembic pickups in an old project 4001 I have lying around. To me, it is the best of BOTH worlds. I get the FEEL and lighter weight of a RIC, with the quiet electonics needed. One of the churches I play in has OLD wiring, DOZENS of dimmer switches, no ground wire on the outlets and a local airport tower that causes LOTS of strange noises to be picked up by my RIC's.

The Alembic pickups are DIRECT REPLACEMENT drop in's. When I spoke to them, they told me that they have a 4001 there in the shop that they use to test fit and measure, so their parts will drop in with little effort. It is a REVERSIBLE mod. Yes, I know it will not SOUND like a RIC anymore, but I think I have that area covered with the other RIC's I have that DO!

Besides the expense, the only other problem I see is an easy way to change the battery!

I've also considered using a set of Rickenbacker Humbuckers and saving a TON of money while I wait for my Blueburst 4004Cii to arrive, so my mind isn't made up. Heck, with the money I save, I could PAY for my 4003FL in full!

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:38 pm 

And another name from RR is revealed!

Board index » Setup And Technical