Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: New 360/12-TRC removal technique
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:11 pm 

After 42 years of lusting for one (since Hard Day's Night, actually), I finally got a Ric 360/12 (in Mapleglo). Store had it in the back room, still sealed in the shipping box. From manufacture date, it appears to have been there for about a year. It was about a whole step below pitch, with the neck a little bowed. I have since adjusted the truss rods (yes, with the proper Ric tool and after reading all forum hints), and neck is now nice and flat and it plays like a dream. Here's my question. I had to loosen several strings to get at the TRC screws. When you remove the TRC, do you take the strings off the winding posts completely or just loosen them and pull them to the side of the nut to get clearance? (That's what I did, after putting a capo on to keep strings from popping out of tailpiece, but I'm not sure if that's the best technique). Your suggestions greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: New 360/12-TRC removal technique
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:30 pm 

On my 360/12 I just detune the strings enough so I can move them easily.

I have never needed to slacken them so much that I felt they would come out of the tailpiece.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:50 am 

yep, gotta detune a bit. i tried once without detuning and knicked the windings on the A string and it started to slowly unwind. but again i didnt loosen it so much that i needed to worry about the strings comming out of the tailpiece.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:44 pm 

It's the strings in the slots that causer the difficulty. I can usually get by with just loosening those enough to slide the TRC out.

Board index » Setup And Technical