Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Trapeze Tailpiece
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:22 pm 

I just picked up a beautiful 2004 620-12 and am considering replacing the "R" tailpiece with the trapeze one. I noticed that there are only six holes in the trapeze. This may be a dumb question but does this mean two strings go into each hole on the 12-string guitars? And is there anything to be cautious when using the trapeze with 12 strings?
Also, is this an easy switch, and do the holes for the trapeze tailpiece holder match the one for the "R: tailpiece? Would be most appreciative of any answers, suggestions, etc. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Trapeze Tailpiece
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:55 pm 

Quote:
I just picked up a beautiful 2004 620-12 and am considering replacing the "R" tailpiece with the trapeze one. I noticed that there are only six holes in the trapeze. This may be a dumb question but does this mean two strings go into each hole on the 12-string guitars? And is there anything to be cautious when using the trapeze with 12 strings?
Also, is this an easy switch, and do the holes for the trapeze tailpiece holder match the one for the "R: tailpiece? Would be most appreciative of any answers, suggestions, etc. Thanks.

1) Yes, two strings per hole.
2) Thread them through the trapeze front-to-back rather than the neater-looking back-to-front.
3) No they don't - one of the reasons why I discarded the idea of swapping my trapeze for an 'R'.

Elsewhere in one of these forums (sorry, fora, purists) Dale Fortune advises that you thread one string of a pair through the ball end of the other before stringing up. I tried that last time and it seems to work pretty well, as does the rest of his advice.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:01 pm 

"3) No they don't - one of the reasons I discarded the idea of swapping my trapeze for an 'R'."

Does this mean that new holes need to be drilled & old holes filled in to do this properly? If that's the case I just might reconsider.

This may be moot since I may not change the tailpiece, but could you explain what you mean by "front-to-back rather than neater looking back-to-front? Thanks.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:46 pm 

I'd put the octaves on first, or else thread the octaves through the ball of the heavier guages, as previously mentioned.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:54 pm 

Quote:
"3) No they don't - one of the reasons I discarded the idea of swapping my trapeze for an 'R'."

Does this mean that new holes need to be drilled & old holes filled in to do this properly? If that's the case I just might reconsider.

This may be moot since I may not change the tailpiece, but could you explain what you mean by "front-to-back rather than neater looking back-to-front? Thanks.

The holes are in different places. Personally I'd leave the old ones unfilled, because I know I'd make a hash of filling them... asking for trouble either way. Wait a sec, R to trapeze? The new metal might cover the old holes. Ask someone who's got one of each.

"Neater-looking back-to-front" would have the ball ends under the trapeze, possibly scratching the Glo (though thankfully mine looks OK). "Front-to-back" the ball ends show on top, rather untidily IMO, and might catch your sleeve if you wore minstrel gear and did Townshend windmills; but I concentrate on essentials and don't look.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:36 am 

i dont know much about the trapeze, but what if you
drilled 2 holes in the trapeze itself to line up with the
'R' bracket holes, then you dont need to mod the
guitar at all ...plus be able to swap back to the
'R' if you change your mind ...is this doable ?

Board index » Setup And Technical