Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Blue or Gold alnico for 360-12's
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:17 am 

Does anyone know how the gold, 65watt, Celestion drivers sound, relative to the famous, 15watt blues? The wattage rating is way more conducive to all the 35-50watt heads out there. My question is: Do they sound as good as the blues?

Post subject: Re: Blue or Gold alnico for 360-12's
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:05 pm 

No comment on this yet? I'd be interested in knowing this, too. The blues are great speakers, but damn - Vox is proud of those things. They certainly charge enough for them.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:59 pm 

Howdy,

The AlNiCo vs. Ceramic question is, for the most part, applicable mostly for high-volume/overdrive applications-based on what I've read and heard with my own ears.
Now as for which AlNiCo speaker is best or most Vox-ish, try asking Ted Weber. Weber makes Celestion clones which are available with Ceramic or AlNiCo magnets; try his website..Google around. Good luck!

Eggman

PS: I've got a Weber AlNiCo speaker in my '65 Princeton which overdrives wonderfully with my old ES-335!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:11 pm 

Yep, thx. I was wrong about the new Gold-Alnico: it's rated at 50wrms. So far, I can't find anyone selling them so I don't know about pricing. I'd venture a guess they were as expensive as the blue's due to their similar alnico motors, though. I guess they're too new to be showing up yet. From the response curves, they look to have a dB or 2 more than the blue on the bottom-end; the top-end isn't quite as smooth but similar. Guess we'll have to wait till they start finding their way into amps!

Board index » Setup And Technical