Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Just how noisy are high-gains supposed to be?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:47 pm 

I recently realized a lifelong dream and acquired a shiny new 4003 JG. While this instrument is beautiful and plays like a dream, I have noticed that the pickups put out quite a background racket; a pretty loud buzz/hum that sounds like I'm trying to tune a very distant AM radio station from inside my car in the presence of an electric motor. My bandmates are always telling me to turn the bass down between songs at practice because it bothers them so much. I own P and J basses, and none of them do this. I know that single-coils aren't known for being whisper-quiet, but this does seem a bit louder than I would expect. The noise is somewhat diminished if I'm physically touching the strings, or am standing at a particular angle to my amp. Is this just a natural consequence of the the Ric high-gains, or could there be other issues coming into play here? If so, what should I look for?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I apologize if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

Post subject: Re: Just how noisy are high-gains supposed to be?
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:50 am 

It sounds like you have a ground/shield either incorrectly wired, or not connected at some point. Your pickups should not be noisy.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:49 am 

My 4003 was noisy too until I changed to a Monster cable. Now it's nice and quiet. I'm not sure why though, because my Fender Jazz Fretless was quiet with any cable.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:20 am 

These are both good points.

I suppose I could look around for a loose ground or cold solder joints. However, as far as the grounding situation is concerned - I am unsure about whether poking around the solder joints, etc. is a warranty violation. Anyone?

I must admit - I am not using high quality cabling with my new baby... (shrinks away embarrassed). It never affected my other basses as mentioned above. Could it really be that simple? I could always use an extra cable - maybe I'll buy a good one and try that first if there's is a warranty issue with pulling out the soldering iron.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:00 am 

It's a possibility. Get a high quality cable and see whther it makes a difference. If you have an ohm meter, you could check for continuity from your bridge to the jack's shield to make sure the ground wire to the bridge is making good contact.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:05 am 

I have the same problem with my 360/12 and I use a monster cable. I figured it maybe from it being semi-hallow.
My 620 doesn't have that problem..

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:07 am 

OK... I'll drive into town Friday morning before practice and grab a new cable. Hopefully, it'll do the trick! Thanks BF, for letting me know which contact points to check.

I'm still wondering about the warranty implications of messing around with solder joints. If anyone can provide info on this matter, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:39 pm 

I wouldn't disturb the solder joints unleaa absolutely necessary. The main ground I was thinking of was that wire which goes from the electronics to the bridge. That wire is usually not phiysically connected, but just sits under the bridge. the string tension holds the bridge in contact with the wire.

Let us know how you make out.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:15 pm 

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the info.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:46 pm 

I have the same problem at home, but with all guitars/basses that have single coils or splittable humbuckers, so it could be the power source also.
Let's face it, cheap cables are a fact of life: we've all used them when times were tough, but if you can afford a Rick, you can afford a quality cable. And you owe it to yourself, your bandmates, your audience, & your gear to use quality stuff if you can.
You wouldn't buy a BMW or Mercedes & put cheap tires on it!

Board index » Setup And Technical