Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Just how noisy are high-gains supposed to be?
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:17 pm 

Quote:
I have the same problem at home, but with all guitars/basses that have single coils or splittable humbuckers, so it could be the power source also.
Let's face it, cheap cables are a fact of life: we've all used them when times were tough, but if you can afford a Rick, you can afford a quality cable. And you owe it to yourself, your bandmates, your audience, & your gear to use quality stuff if you can.
You wouldn't buy a BMW or Mercedes & put cheap tires on it!

Can't argue with that!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:16 am 

Quote:
I have the same problem with my 360/12 and I use a monster cable. I figured it maybe from it being semi-hallow.
My 620 doesn't have that problem..

I too have a 360-12 which used to have hi gains, but now has 7.4k toasters. In either case, with any amp or cables, it has always been extremely quiet. Sometimes so much that I think that I may have forgotten to plug it in.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:17 am 

I thought this was obvious, but I'll mention it any way: if you're sitting on your amp or standing close, the proximity of the transformer in the amp will produce a considerable hum, and it will vary if your relative angle to the transformer em field changes.
And some buildings just have "dirty" power. A power conditioner will fix that, but they're expensive.

Flourescent lights are often the culprit, as are lights on dimmers.

If your bass is new, it's probably not the cause of the noise.

Any progress yet?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:35 am 

Well, I tried a high-quality cable this morning, and it didn't make too much difference. it was a little better, though, and I actually did notice an improvement in overall sound quality vs. my cheap GC house-brand cable (unless my mind was playing tricks on me).

I stand about 6 feet from my amp when I practice, though I have walked across my downstairs a full 20 feet away, and it doesn't affect the hum.

Dirty power is always a potential (no pun intended) cause, since I live in an old house. I do use a "power conditioner," but it's one of these Monster Pro 800 powerstrip things and not one of those heavy jobs with its own transformers, so I guess it's fairly low end. I haven't played the 4003 outside my house (our band is fairly new, and we practice at my place), so I haven't ruled out that possibility of dirty power. In the next few days, I think I'll take my rig over to our guitarist's house, and see if the problem is replicated. We're set to gig in three weeks, so I'd like to figure this out.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:59 am 

Bender brought up a good point. Flourescent lights, dimmer switches, and AC motors can all bring out the worst in audio, especially a high gain circuit like your pickups. Look for these causes. Refrigerators/freezers on the same circuit can cause noise.

Did you run a resistance check from the bridge to the jackplate shield?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:50 am 

Quote:
Bender brought up a good point. Flourescent lights, dimmer switches, and AC motors can all bring out the worst in audio, especially a high gain circuit like your pickups. Look for these causes. Refrigerators/freezers on the same circuit can cause noise.

Did you run a resistance check from the bridge to the jackplate shield?

I didn't have time to pick up a multimeter today (I have no clue why I don't already have one; they're so useful), so I'll do that in the AM. I'll post my findings.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:09 pm 

Also, you could try plugging into different outlets that are on different circuits to see if that's the problem. Just running a long (GROUNDED!!!!) extension cord to another room would be easiest & try to avoid running the cord near TV's, computer monitors, appliances, & other sources of em interference.

My house is 80 years old & the wiring is rather haphazard in nature, safe but not all done at the same time by the same persons with professional standards in mind. It seems that a lot of older houses are wired in similar fashion: patchy expedients rather than proper jobs. You can get some wierd grounding situations at times.

My house has intermittent em interference where I keep my music gear set. It's not consistent at all, so it's hard to pinpoint the source, but old wiring definitely plays a part in the equation.

Also those ground wires in the control cavity of the bass are usually the first thing to get accidently pulled too tight when someone lifts the pickguard. You never know if someone at the store was poking around in there.
As suggested, that's probably the first place to check inside the bass.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:30 pm 

the 4003 has single coil pickups ... single coil pickups are noisier than humbuckers ... take your jazz bass and turn one of the volumes down to 0 and it will then have the single coil pickup noise ... dimmer switches and fluorescent lights make it noisier ...

try a noise gate ... or try a 4004 ...

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:31 am 

I picked up multimeter and tested the grounds. It seems like every significant piece of metal on the instrument has a resistance between it and the bridge of about 1/2 ohm; so I think the ground connections are OK.

I'm really starting to suspect my house wiring. I have two service panels in my house (1 upstairs, 1 down), and there seems to be some patches run between the two of them, based on how the circuits in my house respond when I trip the breakers. My neighbor down the street is the guy who routed the wiring through the house so it would pass code before I bought it. I'll see if I can track him down in the next few days.

Good idea about running the extension cord through the house. I'll try that today sometime when I'm not busy tripping over kids. :)

The noise gate is a good idea - I've been thinking of getting one. As far as humbuckers are concerned... I haven't heard what the 4003 would sound like if I dropped a pair in.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:36 am 

Noise gates are very handy at times with all single coils. When you need one, you REALLY need one! Most times I don't, but there has been the odd time when I would've loved to have one.
I'm sure that others have tried out the HB's on 4003's before, so someone must have real hands on info to share.
JH says the 4004's are dead quiet.

Board index » Setup And Technical