Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Saddle clicking on 330
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:59 am 

Hi everyone.

I just bought a new 330 less than two weeks ago. It seems that when I bend the G, B, or high E strings, there is a clicking noise coming from either the saddle pieces or the R tailpiece--can't tell which. Also, when I rest the side of my palm on the saddle cover and I can feel the clicking vibrations when it happens. It seems as if there's some friction somewhere, or the strings are getting "hung up"--like metal on metal.
All of this just started happening today. For the last 12 days since buying the guitar, it has been flawless.

Would anyone know what this is? Has a screw shaken loose? It's funny that this just started today, and hadn't been a problem up until now.
Any insight would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Saddle clicking on 330
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:23 am 

It might be best to make sure the screws are all snug on the bridge assembly. You might want to remove the bridge cover (2 screws) and check the six saddle adjustment screws, and also the four bridge height adjustment screws.

With the bridge cover removed, you can also try bending the strings, then observe whether sny string is popping out of the saddle groove.

Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:17 pm 

Loudcroud, are you still with us? Did you find the problem?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:24 am 

Hi Beatlefreak -

Thanks so much for helping me troubleshoot, and for kindly checking up on me and my problem.

Just this evening, I found the time to do the things you suggested, but the noise is still there. When I removed the bridge cover, it sounded as if the popping was coming from the R tailpiece. I paid a close eye to the saddle slots, but each string seemed to stay put in the groove when bent up a full step. I tightened the screws on the R tailpiece, the pickups, the pickguard, then after replacing it, the bridge cover itself. Sound is still there...and feel too! I can feel the pop/click when it's happening.

Maybe I need new strings? Maybe the strings need to be lubricated with graphite or some Ric-friendly oil lube? I dunno. If you guys heard the sound, you'd probably recognize it as the string getting hung up somewhere, then releasing, thus the click/pop. Have you ever been tuning a guitar, and when you turn the tuning keys you hear a click, almost with a high pitched tone? THAT'S what these annoying sounds sound like.

I e-mailed Ric service with my problem, and I'm awaiting a response. I'm even prepared to call Customer Service, plug in, and demonstrate what it sounds like over the phone!

Any other ideas??

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:31 pm 

*Update*

I had some more time to check on my problem, and it seems as if the sound that I hear is the creaking caused by slight movements in the bridge. It may be the sound of the springs on the bridge anchor screws? Anyway, the sound has become worse than it was before. I'll search this forum for someone's similar problem to se if there is a remedy.

Board index » Setup And Technical