Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: cloudy finish on fretboard
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:56 am 

Hi group. I have a pretty new 330/6 FG that I just recently noticed that the fisnish on the fretboard on the high frets near the pick-up seems rather thick and is getting/has gotten milky looking. Also I notice what appears to be some polish residue next to the frets, not that that has anything to do with the finish problem, or does it? Please advise on what it is and what should I do. Jay

Post subject: Re: cloudy finish on fretboard
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Been using Finger-Eze or lemon oil on your fingerboard by any chance?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:31 am 

No, niether of those, but I have used the Dr. Stringfellow string cleaner and lubricant. Should I not use that? A few here had high regards for it. Is there a way to restore the clarity? I have also used it on my 620/6 JG and it is fine. Jay

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:43 am 

I wonder if Paul W. would like to jump in here. I'd like to hear about the Dr. Stringfellow and possible cloudiness on a finished fretboard, also.

John, are you saying that lemon oil (which is in Dr. Stringfellow's fretboard conditioner) can cause the clearcoat to go cloudy?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:47 am 

A LIGHT application lemon oil has been recommended by some for keeping the back of the neck slick to counter that sticky build up that can occur while playing (and sweating) on hot, humid nights. It has been suggested it's also good for keeping strings from going dead a bit longer than without the oil.
It does seem to attract more gunk on the finger board, so it needs cleaning more often, but it's always come off so far for me.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:48 am 

I've heard from Paul W. on another forum for Rick enthusiasts that the lem-oil in Dr. Stringfellow's Conditioner is much milder than pure citrus extract lemon oil. It should not soften or cloud the clear conversion varnish. Of course, it should (like most products) be used sparingly.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:56 am 

I've had the guitar for several months and only used Stringfellow maybe 3 times on it. What should I use to re-polish the fretboard?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:29 am 

I used Meguire's ScratchX and then two coats of Zymol on my 4003 and my 320 fretboards. It had the greatest effect on the 320 (27 years old) as it took a LOT of the grime off it and it just sparkles now! The 4003 is only a few months old so it came up gleaming.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:50 am 

I'm doubtful that Dr. Stringfellow's had aything to do with this...I've been using it on all my Ricks, 13 of them old and new, for a couple of years in some cases, all more than only three times (in fact, every time I play one the board and strings get wiped down) with no ill effect on any of the fretboards.

But I'm puzzled by this and wish I could see the fretboard in question, in person. Pictures can't convey the experience of homing in on it in a real closeup, in person, and touching to feel the softness and texture.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:36 am 

Yeah, i'ts kinda strange. Maybe it's been there all along and I'm just now noticing it. Like I said it's just the last 4 or so frets up the neck. There is also what appears to be some kind of polish residue along side the frets. Jay

Board index » Setup And Technical