Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: That 60's tone
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:37 pm 

Hello I bought AC30tb 1987. And i need some help... can you give the the setup to that kinks, beatles sound? They told me that I can input normal hi with brilliant low and than put the jack on the high brilliant, and play with both knobs.... master normal and master brilliant. Can you help me? I have a ric 330\6 FG. wich position should a use in the amplification? Basically how to prepare the settings of the amp?

Post subject: Re: That 60's tone
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:08 pm 

You could take a look at the "Ricks through an AC30" thread a little further down in this topic.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:00 pm 

id didnt help much... I have a rocketriverb, and the settings are tottaly difrent.they talk on a tone knob (Tone: Max treble (fully anticlockwise)), but wich button is that in my vox? And you can cross the inputs with jacks? thnks My vox its the sample as the one in the link http://images.google.pt/imgres?imgurl=h ... D%26sa%3DN

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:14 am 

Plug in the Brilliant channel. The Tone knob is the cut control on your 83 AC-30.Put that one to full treble. Now the bass and treble controls . You have to experiment. I usually put treble and bass in the middle and start from there.They are very interactive, not like ordinary tone circuits (Fender etc) I maybe wrong but I think that 80`s AC-30´s didn´t came with a tube rectifier which contribute to that 60´s sound you`re trying to achieve, givin some kind of sag or compression to the tone.Enjoy!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:38 am 

It's not just the Rickenbacker guitar & the VOX amp,folks...love 'em or hate 'em,those flatwound strings REALLY make a difference!Experiment with a few sets,D'Addario Chromes,D'Aquisto Jazz,Thomastik-Infeld,or the ever popular"P"brand.If you don't like 'em,you're only out a few bucks.But,you may have to adjust the trussrods a bit,as flats are typically heavier...but no heavier than light gauge acoustic strings.Half of my Ricks have flats,half have roundwounds.They both sound good,just different.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:35 pm 

Yup, flatwounds are a big part of the sound of the early/mid '60s. Even Townshend has stated that to get his early tone you HAVE to use flats.

Flatwounds typically have stiffer action than roundwounds, but I have found that to be less of a concern on Rickenbackers, since you can dial in such ridiculously low action on them.

A few months ago I replaced the HiGains on my 1984 330 with toasters, and simultaneously re-strung with Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing Series .011-.047 flatwounds, and the improvement in tone (and feel) was ASTOUNDING.

I don't recommend D'Addario Chromes, as they are made very differently than flats from the '60s, with different materials. They are also the stiffest flats I've tried. You may experience sticker shock at the cost of the P's and Thomastiks, but considering that they can last 6-12 months without tonal degradation, they are actually quite a bargain.

After flirting with other guitar brands for a few years (Gretsch, Fender, etc.), once I swapped the pickups and strung 'er with TI flats, my old 330 instantly became my #1 again.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:37 am 

And they said I was crazy...HA HA HA HA HA !!!!

Board index » Setup And Technical