Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Best mic for recording electric guitar
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:47 pm 

I hope everyone but me doesn't know this! Pure "Chime" has to be difficult to capture. I'd want an accurate but lively mic which could handle the spl's of close-mic'g a cranked-up 12" without losing composure. What's the quintessential or classic, here? What's the modern "hot ticket"? Thx.

Oh, I should also mention, this mic will be used primarily for recording and I'm saving for a new Ric, so no $2000 options, please!

Post subject: Re: Best mic for recording electric guitar
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:21 am 

Why the Shure SM57 of course! It's been the industry standard for YEARS!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:51 am 

A 57 is great for live sound, but I would think a condenser of some type would be better for recording. The problem is, finding one (affordable) that will stand up to the high SPL of close miking a wailing AC30...

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:13 am 

For recording, use a lower wattage amp. Loud amps "feel" great, but they won't tell you much about what you're actually hearing. Microphones, much like ears, don't really understand volume past a certain point. A shure SM57 will work in most applications if you put it in the right place. Experiment with mic position. I am currently favoring a '66 Fender Vibro-Champ for recording. It's less than 5 watts but sounds huge when the 57 is positioned right. Good luck. Whatever works for you is the right way!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:12 am 

Thx, guys. That's 3 votes for the SM57 (171??) -but no live stuff anymore. Until things change, all I've got is a pair of big Fender's (Bassman and Dual Showman) and a Silvertone 1483. I really want a Champ (3-knob) I can tweek for den-recording. Sounds like the SM57 can handle live/loud stuff, alright. Is it an accurate recording mic for guitar amps? (which aren't in the least accurate!)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:31 am 

Try two SM57's. One close mic'd on the middle of one your speakers (mic to the edge of the speaker for a very slight distorted sound)and the other about a metre away. This way you get a little bit of the sound of the room as well as the direct sound from your cab. I mic up like this when I record, it sounds a little more as if you were sat next to your cab rather than if you had your ear pressed to the cab. I also like to experiment with different mic distances but obviously the further away, the more you have to push the gain which invariably brings in hiss.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Sennheiser MD 421 is another mic typically used in the studio for guitar, especially when recording at high volumes. Many arena rock bands also specify it on their rider for use in large venues when the amps are miked. It's noted for its ability to handle especially high SPL's, i.e. right in front of a speaker, without breaking up.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:30 am 

There you go. If you want a really good high quality recording, I'd go with the Sennheiser MD 421 over the SM57. The Shure is a great mike for live sound (one of the best), but the Sennheiser will be better in the studio.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:32 am 

I have had nice results with an audix i5. I have also used an sm57. Close to the grill at an angle you need to move it around to find the sweet spot. Also, I really like blending the sm57 or audix 15 with another condensor mic set further back. I have had nice results with the studio projects b1 as the condensor.

evt

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The SM57 has been a work horse for live sound reinforcement for years due to its ruggedness, reliability, good sound, and ability to handle extreme SPL's. The Sennheiser could be described similarly.

A good studio mike doesn't have to have the inherent ruggedness needed in the stage environment which may allow for construction that can record more subtle performances, including low level instruments like an acoustic guitar.

Audio Technica has rather a nice easy-to-read microphone primer that could be helpful in your selection:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/ ... index.html

We use their 4000 series products in the studio with great results and you may find them a better choice in a studio environment.

Board index » Setup And Technical