Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Best mic for recording electric guitar
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:41 am 

I agree that a Shure SM57 gives you rather good results - especially if you consider that it is a dynamic microphone at a very affordable price.

Nevertheless I would prefer a large diaphragm condenser microphone. If you have the money, there is nothing better than the tube microphones by Neumann. The Beatles used them for everything they recorded and they are the high-end-studio standard still.

Of course, most of us do not have the money to buy such a microphone.

I am using a Groove Tubes GT-55. The results are very good - a SM57 compared to this microphone has little dynamic range and sounds rather thin. I do not play my AC30CC1 at full volume when I am recording, but I guess that the GT-55 could even handle the full volume of a cranked 100 watts tube amp if you use the -10db option.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:28 pm 

Thx so much, guys. I've got some 'homework' to do. We spend SO much time getting our guitars and amps tweeked 'just right', the wrong mic could color everything. I think the mic issue is just-as important. Thx, again.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:40 pm 

SM57's are excellent mics, but I find them somewhat box-y sounding in a recording situation.

I have a Nady TCM 1050 tube condenser that I use for EVERYTHING - guitar amps, vocals, drum overhead, etc. It has a switchable pattern too - cardioid, figure 8, omni, and everything in between. The internal 12AU7 tube gives it a superbly warm character.

My only beef is the tube is hot-wired inside, which I discovered when I was considering upgrading the tube to a JJ. I was afraid of damaging this somewhat expensive mic, so I left well enough alone.

I see that MF is now selling these for $249, which means the price has dropped since last year! [url]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-TCM1050-Tube-Condenser-Mic-with-Flight-Case?sku=277088&src=3WFRWXX[/url]

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:09 am 

Audix Microphones, read about them here:

http://www.audixusa.com/home.html

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:29 pm 

microtech gefell....i love their sound through a sonosax pre-amp....

chris

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:44 pm 

Anybody try the Audix I-5? My salesman at GC is trying to talk me into one instead of a 57 at the same price.

The online reviews say the same thing, by and large.

Any of y'all try one?

Mark

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:51 pm 

Quote:
Anybody try the Audix I-5? My salesman at GC is trying to talk me into one instead of a 57 at the same price.

The online reviews say the same thing, by and large.

Any of y'all try one?

Mark

Hi Mark

I was shopping for a mic a while back and happened to go into GC. The salesman there was very pushy toward the Audix I-5. I knew that the SM57 was supposedly the "standard" and was leary that the salesman was pushing me toward an item that GC might get more of a kickback. This salesman was so pushy that he wasn't going to let me leave the store without "trying out" the Audix mike. He hooked it into a PA in the "PA room" and spoke into it. That meant absolutely nothing to me. I don't care what the mike sounds like spoken into. If that is the case, a condenser would probably sound the best. While were were debating microphones, someone else walked up and said that the SM57 was the "only" mike to get. Who knows, but I ended up getting the SM57 and I'm happy. It records great but I think everything needs EQ later on.

I'm not sure why that store is like that - they've been pushy with me on other items before. If they are going to push that mic, they should have a recording rig set up so you can hear it recorded. my 2cents.

Best of luck,
Bri

Board index » Setup And Technical