Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Refretting a 330
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:10 am 

I have a 1981 Jetglo 330 that was refretted about ten years ago, and I've always thought the guitar was never quite the same afterward. The guy who did it the work refretted it with what I think are Gibson jumbo frets.
Anyhow, the guitar sounds the same, but has never had the same "feel" as it did originally.
When I first bought the guitar, I remember the frets being flat across the top and maybe even laquered with the fretboard.
So now I'm trying to get my guitar back to it's original state. What size frets are stock on a 330? Are they filed down in any way, and are they laquered after installing them?

I know of a great luthier in town who could do the work if I could give him the details of how it was originally.
Thanks-
Steve

Post subject: Re: Refretting a 330
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:35 am 

Those are pretty fat frets for that guitar. I'm sure one of the RIC folks can advise you of which fret wire gauge is correct for your guitar. I used to buy fret wire and other parts from F.C. Hall back in the 70's, but I don't know if they'll still sell you any. If not, Stewart-McDonald or Jim Dunlap would be a source.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:08 pm 

Someone on the Voxtalk board suggested using C.F.Martin's .195" wire as a replacement. I also talked to a guitar tech who refrets Rics but was discouraging me from laquering the new frets in after installation.
Don't most people reaply the laquer after refretting a Ric?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:06 pm 

When I restore or refinish a Rickenbacker instrument, I often refret it. It's the best time to do it, takes only a couple of hours max, and makes the job of stripping and refinishing the fretboard a snap.

I do not use Martin frets, nor Gibson Jumbo. You are looking for trouble if you deviate from the factory fret heights and widths, in that you will never get the guitar to set up like it was from the factory--not a good idea in any case.

Here are some shots of my 325 (formerly a 320) which I refinned and refretted. My own method for finishing a Rickenbacker differs from the factory method in two major ways, but this has to do with my own work methods, rather than the superiority of either way. I'm sure there are a lot of unique and personal ways to tackle this. This guitar is typical of one of my refins.

I'm afraid you'll have to copy these or cut 'n' paste, as they do not show up as hyperlinks:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ ... 0shiny.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ ... ux/325.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ ... board2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ ... tboard.jpg

The last picture is a sort of clue to one of my "tricks": A Rickenbacker fretboard , besides being "lacquered" (and this is only true for pre-1959 instruments, incidentally, the material is actually conversion varnish), also has a buildup (or "meniscus") of varnish on either side of each fret.

I spray the fretboard after the new frets are set (but before they're levelled!) with the guitar hanging vertically from a hook which is inserted into one of the tuner holes. When this has cured, I mask the entire guitar, except the fretboard, and I carefully scuff the varnish of the fretboard. I then stand the guitar on its headstock, and I spray the fretboard once more so the varnish collects on the opposite side of each fret. When this second coat has cured a couple of days, the fretboard is ready for levelling. I have a long levelling board which I fit with two different grades of sandpaper, and which is used to level the frets. But first the truss rods receive a minor adjustment to bring the neck straight. They need re-tweaking again in final setup once the guitar is strung.

For those of you who don't know me yet, I do this as a sort of hobby. I love Rickenbackers for lots of reasons that will be mentioned in future posts.

Not varnishing a fretboard? I guess it's a matter of personal taste; I find the varnished 'board to be one of the guitar's best aesthetic features!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scollier, you need to revist the Voxtalks thread, where I pointed out that the Martin wire spec given was an order of magnitude off. I also gave some very close matches from the Dunlop fret wire chart, as well as some not as close from the Stew-Mac catalog.

This is one problem with the 'Net- erroneous information never seems to die!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:23 am 

Jingle Jangle:
Very Pretty!
Did you also refinish that guitar?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:55 am 

Hi Poughkeepsie.

Yes, It started out as a one-owner '81 320 with "R" tailpiece. It ended up after a two-weekend refret and refin as a late-50s looking 325 with a pinned Kaufmann, in aged Autumnglo. I was inspired by a guitar I saw on Glen Lambert's excellent site.

Here's a link to the finished guitar, along with its Rick brethren:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ ... 4ricks.jpg

And a closeup of the body. I also made the guard and rewired it so it has more tonal variety:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ ... 325cu6.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:37 pm 

My 330/12 needs refretting. I've had it since 91 and gig with it twice a week. No chance of me doing it my self but I'm concerned about taking it to the local guitar joe.
Anyone in England had a refret job from someone they can reccommend?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:56 pm 

Hi there, I have a question for you. As I live in Australia and there are no Rickenbacker repairers here. Do you how I could get my hand on some Jetglow paint. I have a few little nicks in the headstock of my 325 Miami. I would love to get a painter to touch it up and remove the blemishes on it.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Shane.

Board index » Setup And Technical