Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: pickups sound like a microphone
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:50 am 

i need help
my pickups sounds strange when i put the gain high,is like
a very noisy beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee(i just feel this with amplifier, not processor efects)
my guitar is 250 el dorado

the luthier who make me the setup uf the guitar told me that sometimes they use something like wax to repair it but is posible do that?
i thing that is imposible to open the pickup because are cosed.

or should i buy a new ones?...

in this case who sell pickups for this model???

sorry my english is horrible..

Post subject: Re: pickups sound like a microphone
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:25 am 

Hi gain pickups can be prone to noise sometimes. I've heard of potting the pickups with wax or similar material, but I don't know how effective it is.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:46 am 

Wax potting pick-ups in a mixture of 50% parafin wax & 50% beeswax is usually effective in suppressing microphonic feedback.I have a friend who re-winds my RIC pick-ups,and he always pots them.I've never had any trouble with them,either.Most people who do this put a layer of glass marbles on the bottom of the pan,so the pick-ups don't get too hot,then melt the wax using an electric hot-plate,or double-boiler.Hang the pick-ups by the lead wires,and tap them with a wooden spoon or chop-stick while they're submerged,to eliminate air bubbles.Don't get the wax too hot,it can ignite violently.After they dry & cool,wipe off the excess wax with an old rag.Best to do this outside,or better yet...take them to a professional luthier,who is familar with this procedure.AND...I am in no way liable if you ruin your pick-ups!GOOD LUCK!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is all fine stuff except that this particular pickup is already completely encapsulated with proper epoxy-based materials.

My guess is that the noise is not the pickup at all, but from the circuit board, i.e. one of the ceramic caps flapping in the wind, so to speak. Try gently a drop of hot melt glue under each, or gently bend them over and use a drop of superglue to hold them to the board.

You might also try a bit of felt or stiff foam rubber between the metal mounting plate and the printed circuit board.

Finally, the rubber pickup mounts might have become hardened through the years; just moving them up or down slightly could change the resonance to a more favorable spot.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:30 am 

I stand corrected.My lengthy discourse on wax potting,while applicable to most pick-ups,does not apply here.Listen to Mr.Hall,he would know best.

Board index » Setup And Technical