Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Bad Switch?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:08 am 

I have a 2005 FG 360 that has a switch problem. When I first got it it was a little noisey but now it hardly works at all. In the middle position it doesnt pick up the neck pickup. Whats the best way to clean the switch. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Bad Switch?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:29 am 

You COULD open it up,carefully spray some De-Ox-It on a thin strip (1/4" wide) of business card,and GENTLY draw it between the contacts,being careful to not bend them.OR,you might GENTLY bend the outside contacts inward,just a bit.Be sure to put some polishing cloths on your guitar to keep any solvent/silicone off of the finish.OR,you could order a new switch from RIC,and have a professional Guitar Tech swap them out.I live on the Florida Gulf Coast,so (because of the salt air) I see this sort of thing a lot.Usually the cleaning will work.Let us know how it turns out.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:38 am 

In my past experience, once you start having problems with a switch, they usually keep coming back. Since the guitar is an '05, and you're not trying to keep a vintage guitar original, just put in a new switch.

Unless you're the original owner of the 360, in which case it's a warranty issue. Contact customer service.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's more than likely just a bent contact. Probably the initial noise you describe was a contact on the edge of making.

Just carefully examine the switch and you'll see how the various contacts make and break. Using needle nose pliers, bend the contacts just a bit in the appropriate direction and I'll bet this problem goes right away.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:42 am 

Thanks alot Mr. Hall! Its not everyday that a CEO of a company responds at all! I will give it a go. Great great guitar by the way!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:30 am 

I had that problem on one of my Rics. Open the pickguard and if the switch looks like it's making a good connection but it's still acting funky, just go over the metal contacts with a little fine sandpaper to expose a some bare metal. I did that about 3 years ago and the problem never came back (yet).

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:06 am 

Thanks Mr. Hall. I did exactly what you said and now she is as quiet as can be!!

Board index » Setup And Technical