Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Early 4003 truss rod adjustment?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:44 am 

I have just acquired a 1980, 'TI-45XX' 4003 with a 'split pickguard' attached, to my surprise the T-rods adjust at the bottom of the neck. My question is; which method of adjustment are used, present day method, or the 'old 4001 style' a bit more difficult IMHO? thanks in advance for your advice.

Post subject: Re: Early 4003 truss rod adjustment?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:23 am 

Welcome to the forum!Nicest,most helpful bunch of guitar owners ANYWHERE!Consult the Owners Manual under the Service tab,above.I have 1977 & 1982 basses,and you do have to "help" the neck bend back a bit,then tighten the truss-rod nuts to the desired position.The latest (October) issue of "Vintage Guitar" magazine also has a great article by Dan Erlewine on Rickenbacker truss-rod adjustment.It applies to basses and 12-strings,alike.Congratz on your recent purchase,you've got a classic there.Let us know how it turns out!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:37 am 

The main thing with any truss rod adjustment is to adjust in small increment (1/4 turn or less) and let it settle in for 24 hours. Recheck and adjust again, if necessary.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:40 pm 

Again,Beatlefreak speaks the truth...and I must agree.Proceed with much caution,or you could access Rickenbacker's "detatchable fretboard" feature (or worse)!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:31 pm 

You'll want to adjust for a perfectly straight neck. The best way is with a straight edge - I use an 18" Steel scale (ruler). Place the edge of it on the frets. All frets should contact the scale's edge.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:39 am 

I would like to thank the Forum members who replied to my initial question, it looks like I'll call this site "home". Thanks again

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:33 am 

When you get time, be sure to look through the archives. There's lots of great tips and information in there.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:19 pm 

I'm not sure that the quarter turn rule of thumb is neccessary with the older spring style rods on the early ( pre 84 ) 4003 bass. You put pressure on the neck before you tighten the rods rather than have the rods put the moving pressure on the neck

I thought that you put the pressure on the neck and then tightened the rods as much as they needed.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:04 pm 

Howdy,

I wrote to JH a while back and he gave me specific instructions regarding truss rod adjustments for older Rics. (I believe that these are pre 1985...Please correct me if I'm wrong). I know that the instructions are on this website somewhere. Hopefully the folks here at Ric will post the link. Anyway what I do if the rods have to be tightened I loosen them slightly, then manually adjust the neck and snug the rods up in order not to separate the fingerboard from the neck. If you have another person available to help, simply have them hold the body while you manually adjust the neck and snug up the rods. If not, a SOFT neck rest will work in the affected area.

Another way to do it is to loosen the rods slightly, rest the neck on your knee at about the 7th fret with the body hanging loose. The weight of the body will help move the neck into place. Then snug up the rods. This will work with a guitar or bass. I would not recommend this with a doubleneck as the body may be too heavy.

I know that it sounds comlicated, but itt really is rather simple once you get the hang of it.

Steve

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:08 pm 

I have used the "rest the neck on your knee aproach "on my 4001. Then tighten the rods untill snug.

Board index » Setup And Technical