Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 660 information
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:53 am 

I just purchased a 660 and was very pleased with it when I pulled it out of the box. The neck is killer and I love the weight of it. But when I plugged it in there was VERY little sound coming out of it. This is my first Rick and I must say I am a bit disappointed. I literally had to turn my amp (VOX) way up to get anything out of it. I was just informed that in order to get more volume out of it I have to upgrade to “high gain” pickups. Now I could understand this if I purchase a 400 dollar guitar. But I paid over 1300 for this puppy. At this point I cannot even use this on stage due to the fact I would have to set up a whole different rig to get any sound out of the guitar. I know I can purchase the “high gain” pick ups but will they work? What about the humbuckers that are used in the 650’s are they louder? I play British rock, Stones, Faces, etc… an I love Tom Petty’s stuff so I thought the Rick sound would be pretty cool to add to my arsenal. Can anyone suggest anything before I return this back to the music store.

Thanks
Geeter

Post subject: Re: 660 information
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I play British rock, Stones, Faces, etc… an I love Tom Petty’s stuff so I thought the Rick sound would be pretty cool to add to my arsenal.
Well, you now have the pickups that all of these used, so it makes it hard to understand why you think you need something else to get their sound . . . I think the solution might be an amp with a bit more gain.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:04 am 

I have a two amp rig. My main amp is a VOX AC30 with Blue Celestion. The second amp is an AD120VST VOX. My rig has BBE maximizer, Tube screamer, Clyde Vox Wah, EH Black Finger and a EH Stereo Chorus. So I don't think it is my setup. My sound guy who works on my guitars was even jaw dropped when I plugged in the guitar.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:16 am 

First off, make sure your cord isn't bad. And what Vox amp are you using?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:25 am 

You've got an issue, but don't blame the toasters. My 660/12 is plenty loud with a lesser setup than you've got. Either (dare I say) something faulty in your guitars wiring or a bad cord. (Could it be that simple?)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:39 am 

If it's not a bad cord, then possibly the guitar jack isn't making good contact, or a wire may have come loose. I use a Vox AD120VT also. My 325 has toasters, and it's plenty loud.

Check the cord first, then the jack and wiring.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:33 am 

If it's not a cord, have you adjusted the pups to your liking and desired tone? Try adjusting the pups nearer to the strings gradually, unlike every other pup the toaster just sounds better the closer you go, but there is a limit!
You should be able to get the 660 as loud or louder then a vintage strat.

If you are not used to playing guitars with vintage style single coil pups like the 660, or a Strat/Tele, or a Gretsch etc. and have only played a guitar with Gibson style humbucker (HB) pups you will notice that the single coils always sound a little thinner.

I have 2 660 guitars, one is stock the other has 2 RIC HB pups, compared to one of my Gibson's the stock 660 clean does not have as much grunt, but the superior tone of the RIC for clean chords, blues/jazz comping, 'jangle' and some styles of lead guitar is evident in my opinion and is because of the inherent nature of single coil pups.

If you want to crank it up the use of a pedal like a Ibanez tube screamer or Boss super overdrive will drive your gain up fatten the sound and give you as much grunt as you need. An amp with a separate gain/boost channel will get you ballsier as well.

Now if you compare to a Gibson you will find that the single coils in the 660 have more presence than the HB pups which tend to sound a bit mushy, this gives the 660 more 'cut' through the stage-mix.

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:37 am 

The 660 is at a Dealer right now. The tech guy thought the sound was very low. He is to look into it and will let me know tomorrow what he finds. But he thought he knew what the problem could be. And he will raise the PU's.

As to what guitars I use, I have 2 Gibson Les Pauls one made for me by the Custom shop both with mini-humbuckers, 63 Tele, 68 and 69 Strats, newer Firebird, Gibson 335, Dusenberg, Modena, 2 Martins and one Collins. I prefer a single coil sound. So trust me when I said there was no sound coming out of that Rick there was no sound. I did pick up a 650 today and what a difference that was. And I do have a tube screamer. Thanks for all the input. Hopefully, it will all be resolved by tomorrow.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:39 am 

Welcome to the forum,Geeterstrings!You came to the right place!My 660 is just as loud as any of my other Rickenbackers,wheather they have toasters or high-gains.I agree that it's the output jack,a bad cable,or possibly a "cold" solder joint...either from the switch,volume pot(s),or blend pot.Check each possibility one at a time,& I'm sure that you'll find the culprit.Let us know how it turns out.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:39 pm 

Quote:
So trust me when I said there was no sound coming out of that Rick there was no sound.

Ric no sound? :-) A new feature? Couldn't resist..Seriously,I hope you get it resolved.

Board index » Setup And Technical