Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: E string out on 360/12
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:59 pm 

Hi all. I have just bought myself my first Rick. I have wanted one from the age of 10 and here it is .. a 360/12. Just a question if anyone can assist. Once tuned, the Low E string is out when playing a G on the third fret. Is this likely to be the neck needing adjustment? Also as I am in Melbourne Australia can anyone recommend a service centre that knows Ricki's inside out.

Post subject: Re: E string out on 360/12
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:36 pm 

First of all, your neck should be perfectly flat. Adjust your truss rods if necessary. Next adjust your bridge height for lowest possible action with no fret buzz. Then set intonation. This should take care of the problem. If your low E is still out enough that it bothers you, you may want to get a 12 saddle bridge to replace the stock 6 saddle.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 12 saddle bridge would do nothing to improve his situation; that only affects differences between strings in a given pair and, unfortunately, really only on open string notes for the most part.

The rest of your advice is spot on.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:22 am 

Thanks folks. Sounds like good advice. I have looked at the manuals on line and doing this work looks straight forward but should i take it to someone who knows what they are doing?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:00 am 

OK...here's my two cents worth:MOST guitars,even when properly tuned & intonated,sound sharp or out of tune in the first three frets.The guitar is made so that it's a TEMPERED tuning...mostly in tune,but not perfectly in tune everywhere.John Hall is right;a twelve saddle bridge will not fix this.The much talked about "Buzz Feiten" tuning system is an attempt at correcting the problem,by shortening the distance between the nut & first fret;it isn't sharp on F,F#,& G.Beatlefreak is right,as well.All you can do is adjust the neck flat,& set the intonation so that the strings are in tune OPEN & at the 12th fret.It's as good as it gets,don't have a fit.And please don't crucify me for this post if you disagree...(>_<)...this is only my opinion.Welcome to the forum,and try adjusting your new RIC yourself.Just be careful,and don't be afraid to ask questions;you just might learn something from these fine folks...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:24 am 

Thanks guys. So let me get this straight.... check open tuning against 12th fret tuning and if both the same leave as is.. otherwise
loosen strings adjust rods, retention strings, check bridge height and set intonation.
In adjusting rods for straight neck is it clockwise or anticlockwise etc.
Can i also say what a pleasure to be in the company of very helpful Rick lovers.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:38 am 

Quote:
Hi all. I have just bought myself my first Rick. I have wanted one from the age of 10 and here it is .. a 360/12. Just a question if anyone can assist. Once tuned, the Low E string is out when playing a G on the third fret. Is this likely to be the neck needing adjustment? Also as I am in Melbourne Australia can anyone recommend a service centre that knows Ricki's inside out.

Hi there,

If none of the previous advice works, or you don't feel confident to do it, you might want to speak to Jim at Matheas Guitars in Fitzroy. He's done work on a couple of my Rics and did an excellent job.

Cheers
Duncan

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:06 pm 

Thanks Duncan. Will do.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:45 am 

Darren is in Melbourne and you won't find a nicer guy nor a more knowledgable Aussie with Ricks.

http://www.rickresource.com/cgi-bin/dis ... ovic-users

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:20 pm 

Darren who? Hang on... got it.

Thanks

Board index » Setup And Technical