Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: replacing nut on 360/12
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:43 am 

Hi guys,

I want to replace the nut on my 360/12. Can someone give me some advice on the procedure. Does it pop off easily etc?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: replacing nut on 360/12
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:53 am 

It's glued on with what I believe is a wood glue, and should pop off without too much trouble.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:16 am 

My esteemed colleague,Mr.Beatlefreak,is absolutely correct.It would be a good idea to remove the TRC,and CAREFULLY score the Conversion Varnish with an Exacto knife or razor blade,where the nut meets the finger board,headstock, and neck;this should prevent unwanted finish chipping.I usually lay a rectangular cabinet scraper,or a square edged 1 1/2" putty knife flat on the fretboard,up against the nut,& a couple of light taps with a rawhide mallet or nylon face hammer on the end of said tool will free the nut.It might also be a good idea to cover the first few inches of fretboard with blue or purple painter's masking tape,to keep from scratching the 'board.If you're scared,or worried about it,take it to a pro...but NOBODY will be as careful with your RIC as you will!Are you replacing it because it's worn,damaged,or a previous repair?Good luck,and let us know how it turns out.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:30 pm 

thanks for the advice guys. You are right. no one will take better care than me! i will change it myself. Should i put a dab of wood glue say pva when putting in the new one? i'm replacing it because the previous owner hit it with a mike stand and broke it between the two G strings. They don't pop out but i'm fussy about my Rick!!! Hence the replacement.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:44 pm 

Be sure to remove all traces of the old glue before installation of the new nut.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:58 pm 

Use Titebond,a yellow carpenters glue available at all hardware stores. A small amount on the base and edge against the F.B. is the same process as the factory uses.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:22 pm 

the lazier option (that which my cousin opted for when he buit a Les Paul sty guitar) is to simply place the nut where it goes, the strings keep it in place pretty good, I don't think it'S theb est idea though

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:16 am 

You are correct,Nick.A nut that is properly glued will transfer energy more efficiently than a loose one.As far as Titebond is concerned,it or Elmers Carpenters Glue will work fine.Just a drop will do it.DO NOT use Titebond 2,it's a waterproof,permanent glue,made for outdoor applications.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:57 pm 

I only put glue against the face that touches the fretboard and NOT on the base of the nut.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:54 pm 

Hey guys, still waiting for a nut to arrive to replace mine, but in the meantime i took off the old strings and replaced with Rickenbacker ones for 12 string and it solved the intonation problem. Seems that even the slightest incorrect gauge will make a difference to the tunings. Goes to show what a beautiful well balanced and made instrument it is.

Board index » Setup And Technical