Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: replacing nut on 360/12
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Seems that even the slightest incorrect gauge will make a difference to the tunings.
Just to be slightly more precise, it's a matter of inconsistent gauge over the length of the string as opposed to the overall gauging of the string set.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:45 am 

i just replaced the nut on my 360/12 with the 12 string rick nut from the boutique for the slightly wider string spacing.It was very easy the only thing i didn't count on was that the overall height of the new nut was approx. 1/16th" taller than the nut i took off(with a block of wood and a slight hammer tap to the wood).i had to sand down the new nut with 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface being careful to apply equal pressure to the nut so as to sand evenly.i'm very happy with the new nut it seems to give me slightly more room...Now if i could only figure out how to convert that little 5th knob to a "talent" knob...

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:12 am 

Quote:
Now if i could only figure out how to convert that little 5th knob to a "talent" knob...

I hate it when my guitars are more talented than I am!

I assume you only sanded the surface that faces the neck (bottom?), and the width was the same? I have this mod in my future, also.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:02 pm 

yes i only had to sand the bottom,other two directional measurements were exactly the same.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:45 pm 

Quote:
I hate it when my guitars are more talented than I am!

Better looking too...

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:47 am 

My 360/12FG was made in Oct. '05, and I had assumed it had the older closer string spaced nut. From what I could gather, the newer wider spaced nut was not fitted as standard at that point in time. So I ordered a new nut, 03327, that I planned to install. Well, it arrived and it has the same spacing as the one installed already! So apparently Ric was fitting these in October '05 after all. I'm glad that I don't have to perform surgery! I also can't imagine the strings being any closer together than what I have!
For anyone who may be contemplating the swap, you may want to measure the spacing on your current nut first to see if you already have the wider spaced nut, as there doesn't seem to be a definitive date when the switch was made. I measured it at 1-13/32", from the centerlines of the outermost E string slots. Not exact perhaps, but certainly close enough to tell if you already have the new nut.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:48 am 

It might be possible that the new nut you received was part of old stock with the narrower spacing. Anyone from RIC care to comment?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:35 am 

Hadn't thought of that. I'd sure like confirmation that the part I ordered just last week is in fact the new nut.
I will admit, looking at the nut, there doesn't appear to be much material left to get the slots much closer to the edges.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:56 am 

In a sister-related forum there is a very helpful extreme close-up photo of the two nuts side-by-side.

There is a very noticeable difference.

I just haven't had the guts (or the time) to swap mine out yet.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:23 am 

I believe this is the thread Firstbassman is referring to:

http://www.rickresource.com/discus/mess ... 1153253853

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical