Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: replacing nut on 360/12
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:16 pm 

Quote:
So are you thinking that yours has the older nut.

Well, I think that's what I'm thinking!

I was talking to Chris at Pick of The Ricks two weeks ago and he thought my guitar would have the old nut. I'll probably drive down there again in the next week or so and have a look for myself at the new ones he has in stock and, if all looks good, have him fit one for me. The difference is not that much, but every little helps!

I wouldn't necessarily expect there to be a totally logical change over in terms of serial numbers from the old to the new nut though. I'm sure Ric builds many guitars at the same time and they just use what nuts are at hand.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:33 pm 

Well, mine was built in the 42nd week of '05. Apparently I got the newer nut (1-13/32"). Ric must have made the switch right around then. Wow, I knew the necks were tight, part of what I like about them, but I can't imagine even closer spacing than what I have.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:03 pm 

Quote:
The difference is not that much, but every little helps!

Everyone that I've heard from who was used to playing with the old nut says that the new one makes a huge difference.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:17 pm 

Here's a link to the Rick Resources forum about another thread (with a nice picture) showing the difference between the old nut on an '05 and the new nut:

http://www.rickresource.com/discus/mess ... 1163105351

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:10 am 

Hey Beatlefreak, do you do a lot of work on guitars?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:52 am 

If your's measures 1 11/32", you've got the old nut. The newer nut measures 1 13/32". Believe me, 1/16" makes a lot of difference.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:04 pm 

Quote:
Hey Beatlefreak, do you do a lot of work on guitars?

I work quite a bit on my own.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:55 pm 

I'd like to update my post and start by thanking everyone for their input and patience on this subject. I had previously posted the new 03327 nut matched the factory nut on my '95 360/12WB. This turns out to be not entirely true. I'll throw in here that I am vision impaired so have enlisted some help to get more exact info.
Overall width of both nuts is 1 13/32 from high octave E to low main E yet spacing is different.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166 ... CF0545.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166 ... CF0543.jpg

The new nut will move the lower 3 pairs inward while moving the higher two pairs outward, effectively repositioning the set more evenly on the fretboard. I've tried to take the most straight on shot in these pics and have centered the new nut on the fretboard as close as possible.

Any thoughts on if it's really worth the trouble? I still believe the nut on the guitar is original since there are no seams between fretboard, binding, or headstock that would suggest the nut has ever been off the guitar. The orginal nut also has a more squared off top edge vs. the radius edge of the new one.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:17 am 

Emjay, as I said over on the other forum, thanks for taking the time to measure. I'm a little surprised someone knowledgeable at Ric didn't jump in here and clear this up, but hey, that's what this great community is for!

Jangle, based on your photos, I'm not sure the swap would be much of an improvement. As you mentioned, although the spacing is slightly different, the overall width is the same. I believe the reason most are contemplating this is to get the slightly wider spacing, which you already have. That said, you're right in that appears the new nut would center the strings a little better over the fretboard.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:43 pm 

Does anyone know what nut is installed on the current production of the 360-12C63, the original narrow one or the newer style wider spaced one?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical