Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 12k, 7.4k What the k do I have?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:00 am 

Hi all, saw these threads regarding ohms. I am a newbie with a multimeter, how do I tell which ones I have?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 12k, 7.4k What the k do I have?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:12 am 

Use the setting on your multimeter that measures a range just above the pickups. On some multimeters, like mine, that will be 20kohms, on others it may have a 30kohm or 50kohm range. Less than that, and you may not be able to measure some high gains, and more than that, and you won't get anything but a rounded off single integer reading.

Once you have the right range, now comes the fun part. Put a short patch cable in your jack and turn up all the knobs all the way. Of course, make sure you have the 5th knob turned correctly for no cut. Then touch the leads of the multimeter to the tip and ring of the other end of the cable. With the selector switch up, you should get a reading. With the selector switch down, you should only get a reading if it is a newer model without the inline capacitor. If it is a three pickup model, or your switch is in the center position, you may or may not get a reading because of the interaction of the controls.

If that's not enough, then you have to remove control plate and start fishing. DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCED WITH ELECTRONICS. YOU WILL BREAK SOMETHING.

Then you get to take the points of the meter leads and fish upstream of the controls for a hot wire to each pickup, and the other meter lead to the cover of the pickup for ground to get an accurate reading, and make sure the switch is on the other pickup, so the pickup you are measuring is turned off so to speak, so there is no interaction. If it is a three pickup model, you'll either have to be content with the blended reading or very carefully unsolder one wire from the selector switch to isolate it.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:33 am 

Before you go through all that, what year/ model do you have, and what type pickups are on it?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 am 

It's a 1982 360WB with toasters.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:37 am 

Being a 1982 standard model (not a reissue, vintage or B model), it probably had high gains stock and the toasters are a retrofit, and probably the newer "reissue" toasters of the @7.4 kohm variety. Enjoy!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:42 pm 

The guy I bought it from in 1985 said he ordered the toasters as an option when he bought it new. By the way, whoever built it back then new his stuff for sure, it's one of the nicest I've ever seen.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:41 am 

Glad to hear it. Enjoy!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:29 pm 

Your toasters from the eighties will be the 11k-12k variety.

Board index » Setup And Technical