Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: I'll have the toast, please...
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:23 pm 

What do you mean by the plate? Sorry, I'm confused about how that answers my question.

(all advice is extremely appreciated, thanks)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:16 pm 

By "plate" I mean the control panel on the front of the guitar where all the knobs are. On the rarest of occasions that I have needed to perform electronic maintenance on my Ricks, it is always such a pleasure that I can just take the few screws loose and open everything right up to what I need to do instead of completely dismantling the guitar as I have to do otherwise on every other guitar brand. On a Rick, a ten minute job is a ten minute job, and I'm back to playing. On everything else, the teardown of removing strings, and/or fishing for access, and/or unbolting structural parts, and/or dealing with ill fitting parts in general ... well, the ten minute job becomes an hour plus cleanup.

BTW: I can truly vouch for the fact that toaster pickups are aptly nicknamed. I have been using the same chrome with black bakelite handles Sunbeam brand two slice real bread toaster for over twenty years, and it is the same model that my folks had when I was a boy, and is one of the standards in real kitchen appliances by which all others are measured.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:17 pm 

ah, I see. If I order some toasters, will they come with the wire attached, then?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:23 pm 

Yes, the pickup comes with the lead attached. So when you get your toasters, the first thing you do is take your control panel off so you can see everything, then take out the two screws holding one of the pickups on the guitar, and gently, ever so gently, wiggle it a little bit to see which wire on which side of the control switch it's soldered to, then unsolder that one connection and its accompanying ground, tie or tape the string to it, gently withdraw the pickup from the guitar, etc. as posted above. Then reverse the process for soldering in the new pickup and make sure it is well secured before moving on to the next pickup, etc.

After over thirty years of tinkering with my own guitars, some of this is so automatic I have to pause to make sure I'm not glossing over something that I do at this point without really having to think about it. Thanks for re-asking the question to make sure I posted with clarity.

If you need more, keep asking the questions. Much better to hesitate, ask more questions, consider the explanations, then be able to continue with clarity than to rush and risk damaging something.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:25 am 

cool, I get it. thanks much!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:07 am 

Guy - If you haven't soldered before, I can't stress enough about practicing on some scrap wire until you get a feel for making good solder joints. It will save you a lot of troubleshooting and heartache in the end.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:21 am 

I do have a bit of experience in it from highschool electronics, but yeah, I'm going to get help for this one.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:58 am 

Ok, so I just got two toasters from the Rickenbacker Page, and guess what - more questions!

How exactly am I supposed to mount the pickups on the body? The diagrams on the Rickenbacker Page show the grommets going under the cover screws... but how? What's the process here?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:24 am 

The two mounting screws (the ones in the middle at each end) do through the grommets. The gromments on the four corners just sit under the nuts for the corner screws.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:38 am 

hm, alright.

That sounds awkward to maneuver into place while you're trying to get everything screwed in; is it?

Board index » Setup And Technical