Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Projection Problem
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:44 pm 

Thank you very much fellow Rick-o-philes!

I use the same strings on Rick & PB. They vary but when I switch, I try the new ones on both.

There have been no electrical mods done to the 4001 and although no full set up has been done for years, I check the intonation from time to time and the neck is as straight as they come. I'm still experimenting with the Behringer graphic. It certainly boosts the sound level but I've not found an EQ setting I like yet....comes over as rather toneless so far, but I hope that's just an adjustment problem.

I'll look into the capicitor mod.
Thanks again folks....any more?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:16 pm 

The thing most people don't realize about bass is that the low E-string produces a frequecy wave 28 feet in length.

If you're standing any closer than 30 feet to your rig, you're not hearing the full spectrum of sound and of course, you're not hearing the tone in the context of the band mix. It's very different when you step out front.

If possible, get a really long cord or wireless unit and go stand way out in front of the band during a sound check to see what your rig truly sounds like. You might just find that everything really is OK just the way it is.

Raising the p'ups will always give you more projection too if you don't already have them set high.

Good luck!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:34 am 

Try boosting the 220Hz area on the graphic. I use this frequency or thereabouts (depends where you play, fiddle with that sort of frequency area) and it really boosts the punchiness of the bass. It punches like a heavyweight. Heartstopping, bowel rattling stuff. Sounds good with my 4003 anyway!!!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:14 pm 

Quote:
Try boosting the 220Hz area on the graphic. I use this frequency or thereabouts (depends where you play, fiddle with that sort of frequency area) and it really boosts the punchiness of the bass. It punches like a heavyweight. Heartstopping, bowel rattling stuff. Sounds good with my 4003 anyway!!!

Thanks for that Ged.
I tried the frequency boost and it did seem to make a big difference.
The addition of the graphic also helped, not so much for the tone but for the volume boost which brings it up to the same output as my Fender. Makes swapping basses mid set much simpler!

Many thanks Rick-o-phlies!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:17 am 

get a 4003 ... it will be louder and fuller sounding ... probably louder than the p-bass ... or try a 4004 ...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:19 am 

I boost 150hz on my ampeg to give the bass some balls ...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:57 am 

My '74 4001 seems louder than my 2000 4003s5. Especially with the cap bypassed on the 4001.

A setup will do wonders for the instrument as would new/different strings. Also look at your pickup and string heights.

My own experience has been in open mic nights - we all use the same amp. I get told to turn down with my volume set to the same as the P-Bass before me. And yes I am usually the only Ric there - lots and lots of oooooo's and ahhhhh's. So nice for the ego.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:59 am 

Yes, the newer 4003's have more low end than the 70's and early 80's 4001's, but the those older 4001's also have more of that "crystaline" pickup sound for those who like it - especially from the bridge/treble pickup.

Board index » Setup And Technical