Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: professional job or do it yourself?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:25 am 

i just got a new 4003, and it needs a setup, which i can have done for free from the dealer i bought it at, but they are incredibly backed up and i would have to leave my bass there for about a week. i just got it, but not having it for a week would seem like an eternity, and i feel like knowing how to set up my own guitars is something worthwhile. is this something i should leave to professionals or is it something i could learn how to do well enough that i would not be putting my bass at risk?
thanks,
greg

Post subject: Re: professional job or do it yourself?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:39 am 

It's best to learn how to do it yourself simply so you can set it up to match your playing style.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:05 am 

Do it yourself.

The instructions in the Owner's Manual (also available in pdf format from the Service tab above) are very good.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:40 am 

In order to get the lowest action on your bass, you'll need to slot the nut a bit deeper also. To do this, you'll need the appropriately sized nut files. I got mine at Stew-Mac. Before you use them on the nut, use them on the bridge saddles so that the string sits about halfway in and halfway out of the saddle.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:31 am 

But do not go too deep. Go VERY slowly if you attempt any "setup" on the bridge or nut, because once you go too low, you not only bind the strings and cause buzzing on the frets, but especially if it's the nut, you have just created some very expensive trash that has to be repaired professionally so you don't damage the fingerboard, headstock or finish in removing it for a new one.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:55 am 

My two cents:

I get a sense of control and satisfaction by doing my own set up work. However, I always have my luthier do the first setup on a new guitar. This involves filing the nut to match the strings I intend to use. Once this is done, I can do neck and saddle adjustments myself. I may learn to do the nut work myself at some point, but there is a difference between adjusting a neck and filing a part of the guitar. It always makes a noticable difference when my luthier works on the nut.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:01 am 

the perfect Ric Setup usually includes cutting the nut slots deeper, setting the intonation, setting the bridge height, adjusting the truss rods, and setting the pickup heights ...

all of those are basic skills a Ric owner should know how to do ... except maybe the the nut ... the rest are basic skills that you should learn how to do.

when I cut nut slots I use a dremmel tool ... and I usually make string slots a little over sized so the strings move easily and so fatter strings can be used ...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:14 am 

A Dremel? How do you get the bit in the Dremel almost parallel with the fingerboard to cut the slot in the nut taking into accout how big in diameter the tool is? Anyway, put some masking tape over the fingerboard in front of the nut and go slow with the nut files. Do one string at a time, just pulling it out of the slot and laying it to one side. The bottom of the slot should be
a little higher than the height of a fret and cut at a slight angle downward on the truss rod cover side. After ward, using a small standard file, widen the sides of the slot just a hair to keep the string from binding while tuning. This is normally the last thing you do in a setup,but make sure the neck is adjusted as flat as you can make it first.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:26 pm 

thanks to everyone who has responded. i felt like learning how to set it up is something i should learn. i'm still undecided, however, on whether or not i should have the first setup done professionally. i'm leaning towards letting them do it, since, after all it is free, and this guy has more experience than i do.

i imagine i will probably learn how to do some of it myself sooner or later because i currently have the factory strings on it, which i really like, but when they get old i will probably start using roto-sounds (mostly for financial reasons), and they don't make the same gauge as ric does. so i will likely have to change stuff around then. plus as some of you have already said, i want to be able to setup my guitar to fit my style and preference.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm 

Well if it's free, let them do it. It migh take a wjile for them to do it, but at least you'd have a very nice working bass afterwards. And if it's not perfect for your playing style, you can always go back and ask them for advice on what you would need to do and what you'd need to do it.

Board index » Setup And Technical