Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: truss rod advice.....
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:34 am 

Glad this worked out for you. Let us know haow you like the Blueburst when you get it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:39 pm 

Beatlefreak,

I am back to tell you about the Blueburst. I am impressed with the visual effect that happens under the painting. Seems that those details from the wood are 3 dimensional, with the blue fading away and revealing more and more of them. Some parts where the maple has a little darker yellow tone, the fading blue creates a kind of aqua-green fading tone, that is even dificult to describe, but gives a more complex combination of tones and colors throughout the instrument. I believe "impressive" and "wonderful" are the two words that better describe that, and were the two words in my mind after opening the box and checking it out.

For this bass to be perfect (at least to me) I was hoping it would come with the same rosewood color on the fretbord as my Jetglo came, but that one is what I would call "regular" color (darker). The fretbord on my Jetglo is something that so far I have never seen on other guitars. The wood is not as dark, and has a hint of salmon tone, that from what I saw comparing with the BBR, is due to the almost complete lack of those dark lines that run through the wood. Depending from the angle you look at it, it seems kind of non-natural material! So nice! It would be the perfect combination on my BBR, but I accept the fact that I cannot be that lucky every time, and it still looks amazing on my Jetglo, giving it a personality too, despite the "standard" jet black color! :)

Now I have to take a few pictures to show my friends, as they are asking to see "him" (have to find a name for my new baby!).

Regards!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:27 am 

I do get the impression, from the somewhat limited number of Ricks I have seen, that there is considerable variation among fingerboard colours. And it seems that the lighter, brighter woods end up on darker (typically Jetglo) instruments.

Does the factory match them this way on purpose (or maybe the black paint makes the rosewood board stand out more)?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:04 am 

Quote:
I do get the impression, from the somewhat limited number of Ricks I have seen, that there is considerable variation among fingerboard colours. And it seems that the lighter, brighter woods end up on darker (typically Jetglo) instruments.

Does the factory match them this way on purpose (or maybe the black paint makes the rosewood board stand out more)?

Definitely it is not just visual contrast as I put both side by side and the difference on the wood color is huge. When you see from above there is no contrast as you do not see any color coming from the back of the neck, so it is pure wood tone comparison. But maybe you are right about putting the lighter colors on darker instruments, although I saw a Jetglo 360 yesterday and it was not as light as this one, and I have seen many pictures where in general the color of the rosewood looks pretty much like the BBR I just got.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bubinga can vary considerably in color from one piece to the next. We do only a pass/fail inspection of the fingerboard as the instrument isn't committed to a specific color yet at the time the body and neck is made.

Wood being a natural product is always going to have these variations- it's part of the attraction to use natural woods. It certainly would be easier and cheaper to use synthetic materials and then all of your instruments would look just exactly alike.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:49 am 

Quote:
Bubinga can vary considerably in color from one piece to the next. We do only a pass/fail inspection of the fingerboard as the instrument isn't committed to a specific color yet at the time the body and neck is made.

Wood being a natural product is always going to have these variations- it's part of the attraction to use natural woods. It certainly would be easier and cheaper to use synthetic materials and then all of your instruments would look just exactly alike.

When I got my Jetglo I noticed the color on the fingerbord right away as its beauty called my attention, and although I did not have the chance to see many Rics yet, none that I have seen so far called my attention due to its rosewood tone. Normally what I see is what I got on the BBR.

On the other hand, one thing that I noticed on this BBR compared to the others I have seen pictures is that the maple of the neck piece is darker than the sides of the body (much darker I would say - so far I have only seen similar lighter tones), and I believe that is the reason for the fading blue to create such a nice aqua/green tone in certain areas. I loved it, and that's exaclty what makes each of our instruments so unique - millions of colors and tone combinations directly from Mother Nature!

As people say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:25 pm 

Quote:
It certainly would be easier and cheaper to use synthetic materials and then all of your instruments would look just exactly alike.

Please John just leave things as they are! No-one wants to see micarta fingerboards on Rics!

My 360/12 in FG has a beautiful board, fairly light wood with lots of character.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:33 pm 

I just had to adjust my truss rod on my 360/12. I was trying to use a 1/4 inch nut driver, but it kept slipping. I ended up using a 7mm nut driver. I had to loosen the rods, on the first 5 frets the strings would deaden out when I tried to play it the other frets were fine. I worry about the two rods and if I have them adjusted correctly.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:34 am 

WOW! I had more trouble getting the truss rod cover back on than I did adjusting the guitar.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:05 am 

You should adjust your truss rods for an absolutely flat neck.

Board index » Setup And Technical