Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Putting new strings on a 360/12
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:58 pm 

Hi,
Christmas is ahead of us and in Denmark that means a lot of jobs. I therefore put new strings on my 360/12 to be ready for these jobs, where I normally play 5 or 6 songs per night with the Ric.
This is the second time I've restrung this guitar. The first time I managed to break one .010 string, and this time I broke 2 .010s. Normally I never break strings, and here I have to take the strings from the next set.
What string would you recommend as extras for Rickenbacker .010? Unfortunately Rickenbacker doesn't sell single strings.
This time the restringing of this otherwise wonderful guitar took me 1.5 hour. Hopefully Rickenbacker will one day offer locking tuners that are exact match to the tuners used. Oh happy day!
Merry Christmas
Shindig

Post subject: Re: Putting new strings on a 360/12
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:12 pm 

Does the same string break in the same place every time? if so, you may have a burr at that point which you could possibly file down slightly with a small needle file.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:20 am 

As far as replacement strings go, D'Addario .010's will work fine and are sold in singles.
What Beatlefreak said is also true. All I'll add to that is that the nut may need a bit of filing as well if the string is breaking at that spot. Most important, if you are not sure of what to do, bring your Ric to someone who is qualified to do this type of work. It's a lot less expensive than if you mess it up.

Steve

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:34 am 

Hej Shindig
Køb dine strenge på nettet hos thomann og prøv
Tetrahedrone strenge, de er kanon til Rickenbacker.

UKDK

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:39 am 

Nå nu kom det der rod med at Ricenbackers hjemmeside laver navnet om på strengene automatisk fordi de ikke kan lide reklame for dem. Jeg prøver lige at stave navnet bagfra: dimaryp -De har navn efter ægyptens turistattraktion nr. 1
Sjovt med en anden dansk Ricenbackerbruger her på siden...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:17 am 

yeah... what he said

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:26 am 

Hey now, ready for some fun? Try restringing a Rick 12-string with an "R" tailpiece. Anyone who has done it knows that it can be absolutely frustrating if you do it the conventional way as with another guitar - that is, first put on the low 'E' string pair with the TP anchored, and then you have to fish the ball end of each other string under the TP and into the invisible slots that are on the underside of the 'R' and hope you've got the right ones in there. There is no easy way to get the strings "anchored" into the 'R' TP once you start this method unless you have 3 hands, one holding the string and the other two with a flashlight and a small screwdriver to guide the string into the hidden slot.

For a total 12-restring, here's what works for me.

Get a strip of that "Mor-Tite" stuff, it's a putty/rope about 3/8" thick that comes in rolls for weatherproofing. Flip the 'R' over and lay the new strings in the RIGHT slots. As you go, press a 3" long piece of the putty on top of the string/R connection as you seat each pair to keep the strings from slipping out. When ready, put your finger across the putty strip, flip Mr. 'R' over, lay 'R'on TP bracket, and start stringing at the headstock. I prefer to work from the low 'E' to the 'D' pair, then next from hi 'E' to 'G' in the middle. That way the strings lay one on top the other, which is important as they are criss-crossing at several points and you don't want snags or tension at the headstock level, which can cause tuning instability. [Somebody has probably written about this already, but, if so, here it is again at your fingertips.]

Then, tune it up and you're done. To get the putty out, usually all that's needed is a small stick (think Q-tip with the cotton off) to poke through the TP bottom end and dislodge the putty.

Hope this helps someone.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:09 am 

Quote:
Get a strip of that "Mor-Tite" stuff, it's a putty/rope about 3/8" thick that comes in rolls for weatherproofing. Flip the 'R' over and lay the new strings in the RIGHT slots. As you go, press a 3" long piece of the putty on top of the string/R connection as you seat each pair to keep the strings from slipping out.

Or just use a piece of masking tape to hold all the strings in place. Leave an end of the tape hanging out. When you're done stringing, simply pull the tape off.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:25 pm 

Or switch out the R for a trapeze tailpiece.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:26 pm 

Hi,
Thank you for many fine answers - and in Danish: Hyggeligt at møde en anden dansker her - se evt. www.shindig.dk.
I shall try the tape trick, which sounds like a very god idea. The breaking string is a .010 strung to G, so it is understandable, since it normally only would be strung to E. When you use "those" strings, what guages are suitable? However, my main problem is access to the tuners. Even though I have been playing since the early sixties i find it a breeze to be up-to-date with locking tuners, so that really would mean something. I love to polish, adjust, and restring my guitars, but I don't like to spend all my spare time doing it. But who can play good music from the sixties in a band without a Rickenbacker 12-string?
Best regards
Shindig

Board index » Setup And Technical