Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: New Strings?
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:10 am 

Hi,
I am a new 360 owner and I was wondering if I might be better served with strings other than the stock RIC strings. Their literature recommends using only RIC strings. I have been using DR Extra Life on my other guitars and love them. Has anyone got any recommendations or comments?

Sorry if this issue has been addressed before,
Ron

Post subject: Re: New Strings?
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:42 pm 

Hi-

I've been replacing my strings with the Ric strings (10s), and like them so much that I am using them on a Fender Telecaster also. Sustain is great, they are very consistent, they seem to last longer, and you are supporting a small California company that doesn't outsource their labor.

What is the "best" is a matter of personal preference, of course, and some people like warm sound, some like a colder bite. The Ric strings seem to be more on the warm side to my ear, which I like.

I have used Gibson, D'Addario, Fender and Ernie Ball strings. I like them all fine, but the Ric strings seem to hold up longer...

Your mileage may vary...

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:00 pm 

Except for the original factory strings on my Rickenbackers, I have always used D'Addario's and have been very happy with them.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:33 pm 

Of course you can use any strings you want, but as mentioned in the Owners Manual, the guitar is designed for Rickenbacker strings, and changing to another brand may mean that you need to reset the intonation, or in some cases even the nut slotting.

In practice I doubt that you'd change the gauges so much that you'd have to touch the nut and resetting the intonation, even if it is needed, is really pretty easy.

The best thing to do is go try some others. Just stick with high quality strings - D'Addarios would be a great place to start - and find some that work for you.

Board index » Setup And Technical