Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Question about factory setup of 4003
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:08 am 

I just purchased my second 4003 and I love it! It seems to have very high action though, and I don't remember my first one being so high. Is there a standard string height on all 4003's when they come from the factory? I know it can be easily adjusted but I was wondering if I shouldn't just get used to it seeing as Rickenbacker knows whats right for their instruments. Thank you and I appreciate your comments.

Post subject: Re: Question about factory setup of 4003
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:44 am 

Sounds like it might need to to be set up, make sure the neck is straight and then lower you action down to where it isn't buzzing at all.
If you don't think you can adjust the truss rods on your neck then have a qualified tech do it for you.
Sounds like maybe the neck is settling and you need to adjust the truss rods to straighten the neck and like I said before adjust your action to your liking.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:21 am 

I have a 4001c64s and the same problem. This is my first Ric bass. As I'm a complete stranger to my Ric, I took it to a pro to make these adjustments. and also this is my first neck through body bass. Luthier adjusted the neck and lowers the strings to the minimum available position... but still high action... in order to adjust properly he told me, he has to deepen the hole where he adjusts the action. what do you think?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:03 am 

RR, string height is a matter of personal preference and also goes with what type of music you play and your playing technique.
I set mine up so that there is 3/32" from the bottom of the E string to the top of the 12 fret, slightly closer for the G string. I know RIC does measurements in 64ths, but it's easier to find a machinists ruler that is marked off in 32nds.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:55 am 

I've been playing my new bass all day and it's unreal. The action between the two basses is quite different, but I like that they're not exactly the same. After I play both for a week or so I'll see if I want to change the action of either of them. Thanks Rickenbro.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:54 pm 

RIC generally sets up their guitars/basses for a medium action. As stated above, everyone has their own personal prefereance when it comes to string height. Adjust the neck for dead flat, set bridge height to your personal preference with no fret buzz, and then set intonation. If the action is still too high for you, possibly deepening the strings slots in the nut can lower it.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:06 am 

Quote:
Adjust the neck for dead flat,

Do Ric's really play best with no relief in the neck?

I've seem this stated here several times. I just bought my first RIC, a 06 Jetglo 4003, after only playing Fender's. All my fenders I set up with about .012 relief.

Also, my factory setup was wayyy too high. The amount of relief in the neck was insane. I've fixed most things but I still seem to have a bad sounding E string. Its very thin and has a chorus type sound even after new strings, setup adjustments, etc.

Are both pick-up pole pieces adjustable on the new 06 Ric? Thats what I though from reading posts here but on my bass only the neck pick-up has allen slots on the pole pieces.

Btw, my bass is week 30 of 2006, so middle of August I guess.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:22 am 

Chris, RIC instruments are designed to performed best with a dead straight neck. Most other guitar and basses need that little bit of relief.
The E string sounding weak could be due to the height of the pickups, either too high or too low on the E string side.
Sometimes the weak E sounding problem is corrected by giving a very slight tweak to the truss rods, not enough to change the relief in the neck. Sometimes the problem is corrected by cutting the E string nut slot a little lower.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:49 am 

Thanks, that explained a few things. The E string is still an issue though. I am aware that I may need to have the nut worked on but that shouldnt effect fretted notes.

The E string sounds out of phase, and either too thin or very boomy when up the neck.

I can get the neck P/U close to balanced but on the bridge P/U the A pole piece is much closer and that string is louder and much different tonaly then the E If I raise the P/U towards the E string it moves the A pole piece too close, I dunno what to do.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:45 pm 

I've found that RIC basses aren't the only basses best set up with a perfectly flat neck. I recently purchased a new Yamaha RBX775 5 string bass, and after adjusting the truss rod for a perfectly flat neck, and the action at about .010, it plays like a dream. I had to use slightly lighter gauge D'Addario EXL220-5 strings to achieve this, but it was well worth it. The nut on this bass has spacing exactly like a 4003/s5 while the bridge has string to string spacing exactly like a 4003. I only bought this bass to keep me busy waiting for the new 4004Cii5.

Board index » Setup And Technical