Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 12 string question
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:23 am 

Is there a trick to stringing a 330/12 so that the strings don't rub against the truss rod cover?

Post subject: Re: 12 string question
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:04 pm 

I'm talking about the strings that go down into the slots. All but one (the first string) are pressing against the truss rod cover before reaching the tuning post.

I've tried winding up.....winding down.....more windings.....less windings. But the strings are always riding on the plastic cover. You know. Where the Ric logo is on the headstock.

Any tips?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:53 pm 

My 360 came right from the factory like that. I asked here about it and over at RicResource, but people say it is normal. I haven't changed the strings yet (it is only a couple of months old) but I'm going to try to run the strings on the slot tuners from the hole out toward the outside of the headstock rather than from the slot to the inside of the headstock (like it is from the factory). That might make the string rub less against the TRC.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:42 pm 

Howdy,

Please don't be alarmed by this. I have a few Ric 12 string guitars and this is completely normal. My feeling is simply to leave it alone. When I restring my guitars, I wind them the same way that the factory does. When replacing strings, I replace first the slotted strings followed by the others. Before that, whether I am using the R tailpiece or the Trapeze tailpiece, I place all of the strings in the slots and place a small piece of masking tape on the bottom side or the R tailpiece to hold them in place and place a cotton diaper (Unused of course) underneath to keep the tailpiece from scratching the body. The actual order that I restring is:
11-2-9-4-7-6-12-1-10-3-8-5
The reason I do it this way is to balance the R or the Trapeze tailpiece while restringing. This works for me and it takes about 15 minutes with the older style slotting. As I do not own the newer through the headstock slotting, I cannot speak on those. I would imagine that it would be a bit easier. Just my thoughts.

Steve

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:39 am 

If the TRC wasn't there, the strings would just rub against the paintwork on the headstock. It does the same on my 620/12 and I was told this is normal. I'm not too worried yet cos the guitar hardly ever needs tuning (its been a good few weeks since I've had to TOUCH the B and E strings) and it's not gonna need new strings for a while yet so that's not gonna be an issue. What makes it better is that the strings that go in the slots are the octave strings with means that there's only 1 wound string rubbing against my TRC (I don't use Ric strings).

I suppose if you're worried about the wear, you could get some thin plastic strips and place them underneath the srings at the contact point. May not look that great but there'd be no wear...

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:09 am 

I guess my only thought when I first saw it on my new 360/12 was that it seemed unusual for strings to touch anything other than a string tree on a headstock. I know on an acoustic if a string passes another tuner post and lightly touches the string on that post, you can get some headstock buzzing.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:51 am 

I might try stringing it without the TRC just to see if the strings really would press against the finish of the headstock.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:01 am 

It really is perfectly normal for the strings to contact the edge of the TRC.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:19 pm 

Roger McGuinn only uses the top screw in his TRC because he says the strings hold the TRC down anyway.

Board index » Setup And Technical