Board index » Setup And Technical




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Converting mono to stereo jacks?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 7
Location: The poor side of Edmond Oklahoma
How hard would it be to modify a 340-12 string from a mono output to a stereo output?

There is a used 340 here in town but they are asking too much for it as I can get a new 360 shipped for $500 less...go figure.

If I can get them to be reasonable I might get it if I can add a stereo out.

Secondly one person told me to get the true "Rick o Sound" you have to have a box between your two outputs and your amps that is made by Rickenbacker but I have not seen these for sale recently.

What is the true story on stereo out versus "Rick o Sound"?

Thanks,

Scott


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting mono to stereo jacks?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 64
Location: Los Angeles, CA
I've done this... albeit with a 650. All you would need is a stereo output jack and a soldering gun.

I used a Rick-O-Sound box/kit when I did this experiment, but the R-O-S isn't absolutely necessary... you could fabricate something similar, use a stereo Y-cord, etc. See the section on Rick-O-Sound, found in the online Owners Manual (under "Service"). It explains how it works.

In a two-amp set-up, if you like the way your neck pickup sounds in one amp (say, a Fender) and the way your bridge pickup sounds in another (say, a Vox)... then you're good to go; it'll sound awesome! The toggle switch on your guitar will determine which amp you use... or "both" when it's in the middle position.

But...

If you suddenly wanted the neck pickup to play through your Vox... it ain't so easy as a "flick of the switch."



Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting mono to stereo jacks?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 359
Location: So. Calif.
Quote:
I've done this... albeit with a 650. All you would need is a stereo output jack and a soldering gun.

I used a Rick-O-Sound box/kit when I did this experiment, but the R-O-S isn't absolutely necessary... you could fabricate something similar, use a stereo Y-cord, etc. See the section on Rick-O-Sound, found in the online Owners Manual (under "Service"). It explains how it works.

In a two-amp set-up, if you like the way your neck pickup sounds in one amp (say, a Fender) and the way your bridge pickup sounds in another (say, a Vox)... then you're good to go; it'll sound awesome! The toggle switch on your guitar will determine which amp you use... or "both" when it's in the middle position.

But...

If you suddenly wanted the neck pickup to play through your Vox... it ain't so easy as a "flick of the switch."



This is well and fine until you go to plug a MONO plug in . . .


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting mono to stereo jacks?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 64
Location: Los Angeles, CA
I am PICKing UP your attempt to BRIDGE in some humor in these discussions, MPN... ;-p


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting mono to stereo jacks?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 359
Location: So. Calif.
Quote:
I am PICKing UP your attempt to BRIDGE in some humor in these discussions, MPN... ;-p
I do kinda try to keep things on a NOT too serious note . . . but, what do you do at a 'last minute gig' or find yourself in the studio flushing $50+ an hour down the tubes because you only have 1 amp jack or DI port available while getting the stink-eye from everyone in the room as you forgot your dedicated bridging cable. Separate MONO and dedicated Rick-O-Sound jacks are nice amenities to have for the minimal price of 2 jacks and a 2 jack plate with minor wiring modifications and boring another hole . . .


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting mono to stereo jacks?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Alexandria, VA
I'm not familiar with stereo Rics, but I have converted a few other guitars from mono to stereo. I'm guessing the Rick-O-Sound setup has the pickups going to separate jacks?

I setup my Casino with a stereo jack (there's already an acoustic out, and three jacks on one guitar seemed a bit much), with a stereo cable going to a homemade splitter box - very much like the old Gretsch Project-O-Sonic setup.

Even though it's more gear to lug around (and potentially forget/misplace), I like the splitter box over a Y-cable because I can have the amps on either side of the room - which, really, is the point of having a stereo setup, isn't it? Combined with a stero delay & reverb, it makes a *very* big sound!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting mono to stereo jacks?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 7
Location: The poor side of Edmond Oklahoma
My interests would be primarily for recording stereo signals at home (AW16G) and not live applications. Some DI and possibly some reamping to mic a stereo signal one pass at a time.

The Ricks with built in stereo have the two seperate jacks wich I though enabled you the option of going mono with any pickups you want or stereo so I was leaning more toward adding two mono outs than one stereo out.

That does bring up a good question though as many pieces of recording gear offer stereo out via two channels or a combined mono when only using the left output. So I should be able to do this with the two output jack right?

I can solder etc and have built my own fretless bass, done all the electronic instalation etc so I can handle that part with a good diagram or explanation.

Otherwise I can figure it out on my own with some research but I figured the process was already documented somewhere by someone more experienced and knowledgable than myself.

Thanks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting mono to stereo jacks?
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 359
Location: So. Calif.
Quote:
My interests would be primarily for recording stereo signals at home (AW16G) and not live applications. Some DI and possibly some reamping to mic a stereo signal one pass at a time.

The Ricks with built in stereo have the two seperate jacks wich I though enabled you the option of going mono with any pickups you want or stereo so I was leaning more toward adding two mono outs than one stereo out.

That does bring up a good question though as many pieces of recording gear offer stereo out via two channels or a combined mono when only using the left output. So I should be able to do this with the two output jack right?

I can solder etc and have built my own fretless bass, done all the electronic instalation etc so I can handle that part with a good diagram or explanation.

Otherwise I can figure it out on my own with some research but I figured the process was already documented somewhere by someone more experienced and knowledgable than myself.

Thanks
I was in fact addressing the original poster's instrument specifically, which has 1 MONO output. Referring to the schematic diagram provided on this site, then removing the control plate and examining the wiring reveals that it's a pretty straight forward modification to a dedicated stereo jack, retaining the original MONO jack function as well, with just changing it to a bridging type jack.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting mono to stereo jacks?
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 7
Location: The poor side of Edmond Oklahoma
Thanks all.

Unfortunately the local Guitar Center was asking $1599 for the used 1990's 330/12 even though I showed them Musicians Friend has them for $1149 brand spankin new. I offered $900 cash but the said the "had $1200" in it.

I am guessing it will be there for a while.....

I went ahead and settled for the Schecter 12 so no Ricks for me anytime soon.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Setup And Technical


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ
X