Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Bowed Neck
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:01 am 

Maybe somebody can offer me some advise.My 79 4001 has a slightly bowed neck. I would adjust the truss rods but the nuts are buried into the wood.Any advise?

Post subject: Re: Bowed Neck
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:25 am 

Quote:
Maybe somebody can offer me some advise.My 79 4001 has a slightly bowed neck. I would adjust the truss rods but the nuts are buried into the wood.Any advice?

Howdy,

I cannot give advice regarding the nuts that are buried into the wood. I know that John Hall, the CEO at Rickenbacker has responded in the past regarding this problem.
The advice that I can give is that once you can adjust the rods, DO NOT TIGHTEN THE RODS TO MOVE THE NECK. The rods have to be loosened, then the neck manually moved into place and then the roes snugged up to hold the neck in place. This is true on any Rickenbacker manufactured prior to late 1984. One way to do this is to rest the neck on your knee at about the 7th fret with the body hanging freely. The weight of the body will hold the neck in place so that you can then snug up the rods. This works for me.

Steve

Post subject: Re: Bowed Neck
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:42 am 

My 74 4001 never has been totally flat, at least since I have been doing the neck. There is about a millimeter or two gap from perfect flatness in the middle of the neck. My action is low and it doesn't seem to affect anything - no dead frets, no buzz... so I don't worry about it. Maybe some necks are just like that or maybe I’m too timid with the adjustment.

I do it over my leg, as Flyingeagle describes, putting a small pillow on the body at the bridge for a little more resistance. I usually have my son or wife help by holding a two foot metal straight edge on the neck (frets only not the nut) while I apply pressure near the nut to get the neck flat. When it is flat against the straight edge I tighten the nut on the rod – finger tight! Not wrist or arm tight. I do this for both rods thn retune, adjust string height (if necessary) and play for a while. Then let it sit over night and repeat if the neck needs more tweaking.

As Flyingeagle says, pre 84 position the neck then tighten the nuts. We are talking about the nuts under the Ric name plate on the head stock right? If memory serves me correctly (a very scary proposition trusting my memory) the other option to the headstock truss adjustment is via the body side of the neck. I think you have to pull off the pickguard to gain access. I have never messed with this. There was a thread on the subject; you may want to search for it.

Board index » Setup And Technical