Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: De-tension for air travel?
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:50 am 

Being dropped on its head is the most common cause of damage to shipped guitars, a good practice is to fill any voids between the case and guitar with some form of packing, to try to insure the guitar cannot slide

Post subject: Re: De-tension for air travel?
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:33 pm 

Quote:
The Gibson headstock can break in shipment because the headstock can make contact with the back of the case. I used to have a Les Paul. The guitar could also move forward and back in the case when moved around, so if the the case was dropped on the head or back, the head could break. That would happen whether there was string tension or not.

True - but even then, the string tension only makes things worse since the strings are trying to pull the head forward as well. If it takes a certain amount of force to snap the head, by starting with it under load you're reducing the extra pressure necessary from the case before it does - which may make the difference between getting away with it and breaking the neck.

I really wish Gibson would change this design. I'm not saying that out of personal interest - I've made good money out of repairing them. I just feel it's ridiculous to make a high quality musical instrument with such a major structural weakness built in. Even EPIPHONES are less fragile, ironically - because they scarf-join the headstocks and the angle is a little lower too.

This guy knows what he's talking about when packing a guitar for shipping, by the way:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/dano/packing.html

I'd take most of those steps for putting one on a plane, too.

Board index » Setup And Technical