Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: flip nut to resting 620 righty as lefty?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:23 am 

The short story: Can I take a right handed 620, reverse the nut and restring it as a lefty guitar? Is the nut easily removed, or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks much,
Brad

Post subject: Re: flip nut to resting 620 righty as lefty?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:31 am 

You may start your search for info in the search forums section, typing in something along the lines of "replacing a nut" or other such terms. That's a very interesting project you've got going. You should be able to find ample info about replacing the nut through a search. Best of luck.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:32 am 

It is very possible, but if I were you, I'd wait until you find a proper lefty model. Because if you were to flip a righty, a) you'd have to replace the nut, adjust the truss rods.... b) your arm (unless you're very careful) will get in the way of the knobs and switch and c) you'd end up with a weird looking guitar. It's highlight the fact that you're lefty, but the novelty would wear off after a while.

Just out of interest, do you own a left handed Ric? If you do, then you don't have much to lose. If you don't, from experience, I'd just hunt for a proper lefty. The waiting can be bloody frustrating, I know alllll about that, but it's worth it. Trust me on this one.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:39 pm 

Get it done all the time. I have had 620's and 330's and 360's and the 620 is fine upside down. Yes you can't get your hand as high up on that model but I don't usually play up that high. You have to decide oon that part. I always get a bone nut and always use a 12 saddle bridge if it's on 12 strings. You need this to intonate on a lefty because of the way the R goes. My 2 cents..

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:09 am 

The nut is affixed with wood glue, and should pop off with little problem. You might want to take a sharp hobby knife and gently score the seam where the clearcoat CV on the body meets the nut. Other than the nut and restringing, I would think that bridge saddles would need to be switched from side to side also, as they would have slots corresponding to the string gauges.

Board index » Setup And Technical