Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: height of top of fingerboard 4000 series
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:54 am 

Hi
New to this forum, I have owned a Rick 12 string for the past two years. A retirement gift for myself. I am using the McGuinn method of chicken pickin and although the neck is cramped and I have to slightly bend some strings to get the tone in an A chord at the neck for instance, I am getting along well with the jingle.

I am also interested in building guitars. I have some funky take offs on the telecaster/slimline '69ers on the go. The reason for this post is that I trying to build a replica of a 4000 series ric bass, and I have it all ready to go, except attaching the fingerboard to the neck, and proceeding from there. I am using a fender bass 34" scale cut down to 20 frets from the high end. only about 3/4 inch longer over all than the ric. bass scale.

Anyhow, I know this is not maybe decorum, to ask how to get something that RIC makes, but it is the closest I will get to owning something that looks like the bass in Magical Mystery Tour cover. (sheepish grin here, like the byrds and mcguinn with the jingle jangle monster) so all that aside. I would like to know the measurement from the body of the bass to the top of the fingerboard at the 20th fret, and the height of the top of the fingerboard at the nut, from the top surface of the neck. Otherwise it is firewood. I could just go for it and make allowances mounting the pups and the bridge. but I don't want to make a real mess before I even put the strings on.

thanks in advance

cactus jammies at tum tum guitars

Post subject: Re: height of top of fingerboard 4000 series
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:41 am 

Welcome to the forum, Cactusjammies. Keep in mind that this is a company forum, and RIC enforces trademark and trade dress infringement vigorously. This is really not the place to talk of making Rick replicas.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:20 am 

As was said, this is a company forum, and given the horrors Rickenbacker have had to deal with in the "copy" market, I can understand they would be very sensitive to the issue. This is just my own opinion, and not intended as legal advice.........

Even a luthier who makes a single copy of a trademarked instrument for general sale or as a custom commision is "offering for sale or distributing", under the Lanham act, and guilty of a trademark violation. However, as I seem to remember, the very unusual situation of someone who has the skill to personally constuct a replica for their own private use is one very narrow exception to that doctrine.

The majority school of thought says the Lanham act requires the "sale, offering for sale, distribution, or advertising of any goods or services" as a general prerequisite for a tradmark infingment, E.g. the NFL fan who makes a large cardboard sign bearing his team's (trademarked) logo is not infringing until he sells the sign ("sale of goods"), or until he gives it to a friend ("distribution"), or uses it to advertise his garage sale of team memorabilia ("adverising of goods".)

If you are truly making this thing for personal fun, and don't intend to take it out in public with a fake Rickenbacker logo on it, sell it, give it away, or tell anyone its a real Rick, I think you'r OK. However, given the number of man hours this thing is likely to take, wouldn't you have been better off getting a trashed 4001 from the small ads, and just contouring the body?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:08 pm 

The point that John Hall makes is that even though someone makes a Rickenbacker copy for their own personal use - vowing never to sell or give it away - what happens to that instrument when the maker is gone from this earth? It could very easily make it into circulation, possibly being sold as the real thing.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:30 am 

Quote:
The point that John Hall makes is that even though someone makes a Rickenbacker copy for their own personal use - vowing never to sell or give it away - what happens to that instrument when the maker is gone from this earth? It could very easily make it into circulation, possibly being sold as the real thing.

Yea... absoultely a good point...I'm not disagreeing that allowing any sort of personally made copy out into the world at large is a bad thing, just saying that it's probably not illegal, and won't get you sued.

The courts have never addressed (and probably never will ever address!) whether leaving a copy instrument as part of your estate is "distribution" under the Lanham act ,but I strongly doubt it.

Ther are other reasons why a single personal copy maker will likely never face any legal liability (dead or alive), but I won't go into them here because I don't want to encourage anyone.

To be absolutely watertight legally, cactusjammies may also want to place a clause in his will asking that the instrument be buried or cremated with him.

Of course I'd rather be buried with his Rick 360/12 than his homemeade 4001s....

Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:45 am 

Thanks all for the due process and stuff,
Really the only thing that remotely resembles a 4000 series is the body, and even it is quite modified due to available wood, etc. The pups and the wiring are Fender P bass replacement parts (Wilkinson) as are the bridge (P bass style) and the Fender fingerboard length. And some kind of machine heads, I forgot the make. The only other 'copy' idea is the thru the body construction with the neck. The only thing I want it for is to lay down bass tracks for myself. I would not dare represent this effort as anything more than a mess. the measurement I asked for could come from a Fender P or J model, for that matter. The headstock I put on it is original, too. I think the original is too big (oops!) I just like the sexy look of the cutaways, John Hall your company did well there, it is so Un-Fender, you just got to dig it. OK then, anyone have the measurement of a fender bass from the top of the body to the top of the fingerboard at the 22nd fret? or at the nut, fingerboard ht from the neck stock? this will fly Orville, I swear!

thanks again, all

cactus jammies

Board index » Setup And Technical