Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: TUNING PROBLEMS in 330-12
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:52 am 

on both of my 12s, the strings are wound around the post towards the middle of the neck towards the truss rod cover. perhaps try winding them the other way, so the windings build up away from the TRC toward the edge of the headstock. this should put the string about a 1/4 inch away from where it is now and should reduce the amount of "digging in" if not stop it all together. ive thought about it but never tried it so i cant guarantee anything.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:59 am 

I have my factory-strung 360/12 in front of me and while the strings frm the slots look like they may be just touching the headstock wood, they seem to be doing it at such an angle that I can't imagine them catching up on anything. My guitar has no tuning problems as you describe.

Could it be the tuning machines themselves? Did you remove the strings in question and test them to see how smoothly they operate?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:21 am 

The strings that go into the slots of my 360-12 also rub against the TRC, in some places it rubs against the wood. Mine gave me the same tuning problems when I first got it. I took mine in for a set-up and the guitar tech I go to put something that looks like white lithium grease in the nut slots. I have had no more problems with the strings grabbing at the nut anymore.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:03 am 

The black material of your RIC 12 nut is bakelite not graphite. If the nut were graphite, the strings would cut through it like a hot knife through butter. Graphite is soft (pencil lead) bakelite is hard. Pings during tuning are a symptom of the string binding in the nut slot and then releasing with a ping sound (kinda makes you wonder why the Ping company calls their tuners "Ping" doesn't it?)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:59 am 

Tommy -

Is it possible you could post a few pictures so we might see what it is you're talking about?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:41 am 

Wow - thanks for the myriad responses. I'm also happy no one got me on the "...design flaw..." comment.

Awright, awright, I will go back and re-lube the nut slots(bakelite, not graphite-impregnated... that's good info. Although I HAVE seen black nuts for sale that claim to be graphite-impregnated) and the saddle slots, as pretty much ALL of you are suggesting.

I still insist that strings should not touch anything between the nut and the tuner post, but I'm breaking out the "Guitar Grease" this afternoon.

Many thanks for your time and interest!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:45 am 

Keep us informed. We'll help you figure this out.

Board index » Setup And Technical