Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Action 360 string buzz
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:33 pm 

So, i finally got ric strings from a dealer and decided to put them on. The old strings looked pretty old, and were probably a thicker gauge (but i don't know for sure). Anyway, I get the new strings on and i have a bit of buzz when playing the E, A, or D string pretty hard (not open, but on most frets if I strum hard). I can't recall how much buzz there was prior to swapping, but certainly not as much as I had after replacing the strings. I adjusted the four screws on the bridge to try and increase action/remove the buzz. Now the buzz is mostly absent, but the bridge screws are pretty much as clockwise as you can get (springs compressed tight). The action is a bit too high now as well. Is there any potential damage to having the bridge screwed in (high/strings compressed) so tight? Since these are rick strings in the correct gauges, shouldn't the bridge be lower (along with the action)? Is this a saddle issue, truss rod issue?

Most importantly, I want the guitar set up right so that I don't do any long term damage, but I also want it to play a bit easier than it does now (action a bit too high). Should I just bring it to a shop for setup? Could the neck have been adjusted to 11's before and now is out of alignment for 10's--does that make sense, would lighter strings buzz more? i bet the answer is intuitive, but at 12:30am, I am frustrated and hoping I'm not messing up my guitar.

Post subject: Re: Action 360 string buzz
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:37 pm 

You need to check the relief on the neck. It should be straight, with no bow either way. This is the correct setting for a Ric neck. Then once the neck is straight, you should be able to adjust the action to your preference and then intonate. The entire procedure is in the owner's manual, either in your case or available on the website above in the service tab. Good luck with getting it set.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:58 pm 

will there be a noticable bow (if there's a problem)? I can't really detect one using the manual's method. If it did require a truss rod adjustment, I think I'd be better off getting it setup properly by a tech (intonation, etc...). Anything else possibly causing the problem besides a bowed neck?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:51 pm 

Howdy,

More than likely your neck is slightly back bowed since the E,A,& D strings are a bit lighter. The way to tell is to hold the string down on the 3rd and 14th fret. Is the string is touching at about the 7-9 frets, then the neck is back bowed and the truss rods have to be loosened. If so, I would only do it 1 hour at a time. All that you have to do is to follow Lennon21182's advice as the neck on a Ric should be perfectly straight.
Please also keep in mind that if your Ric is a 1984 or earlier model, then the adjustments have to be done in a different manner, especially if the neck is bowed. Most tech's that are not familiar with Rickenbacker's will not know this and may do more harm than good. The 1985 and newer ones are no problem at all.
On the older ones, the truss rods have to be loostened, the neck moved manually into place and then the rods have to be snugged to hold the neck into place. Sounds complicated but it really isn't once you have the hang of it.
On the 1985 and newer models, the rods themselves move the neck into place. Hope that this helps.

Steve

P.S. Robric, I notice that you are in S.F. One of our resident Ric Experts is also in SF and posts here under the name of Jingle_Jangle. His name is Paul and his email address is in his profile. He can definately help you. You can also email him at:
pwilczynski@academyart.edu

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:20 pm 

This is almost certainly a backbow issue. You said that you think the new strings are a lighter gauge, and that can cause the neck to bow backwards. The best way to check for neck (back)bow is to use a metal straight edge. Place the edge of the straight edge on top of the frets along one side of the neck. If you see space between frets and the straight edge in the middle, you have a bow. Tighten your truss rod for that side. If there is space between the straight edge and the frets at one end or the other (or both), you have a backbow. Loosen the truss rod on that side.

Now do the same check/adjustment for the other side. Ideally, you want the straight edge to touch all frets on both sides of the neck. When you tighten or loosen truss rods, do so only a quarter of a turn per rod at a time. Wait 24 hours for the neck to 'settle in' before checking and readjusting (if necessary). You can play the guitar during the 24 hour wait.

Once the rods are adjusted to a flat neck, then set your action, then intonate.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:55 am 

hmm, tried the fret test, but it's not touching, and the straight edge seems to be flush at all frets. yet, the E(6) still rattles when plucked hard. Perhaps a certain amount of buzz is normal?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:07 am 

Keep in mind that the RIC strings are slightly lighter gauge for the lower strings than most other sets of 0.10's. Try loosening your truss rods (just a quarter turn or less) to see if it helps. The other thing you could try is a different brand of strings. I use D'Addario, and think they work really well.

Board index » Setup And Technical