Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: restringing a 660 12
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:33 am 

Hello Forum Dwellers,

I just received, much to my surprise, a 660 12 that I ordered a couple of weeks ago. I have restrung many acoustic 12 strings in my day, but have no expeerience with the tuner configuration of the Ric 12. Anyone have any tips or know of any online demonstrations I could look at. I know Ican figure it out but experienced ric owner info is always most helpful.

Thanks
Kevino

Post subject: Re: restringing a 660 12
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:54 am 

Kevin,

Read the Owners Manual (available as a pdf from the "Service" tab above) and search the forum - there have been lots of discussions here.

Better still, pick up the Roger McGuinn DVD. He (obviously) doesn't use a 660, but with the trapeze tailpiece restringing yours will be much easier and he has some excellent tips on playing, restringing, truss rod adjustments, etc.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:11 am 

when changing the strings on a twelve string i find it easiest to do it a pair at a time. First starting at the low E string do the string that goes to the side(normal) tuner then do the one(octave string) that goes to the rear tuner. i do this one by cutting the string 1 1/2 " longer than the tuner post and the bending a 90 degree angle at the last 1/4" of the string. stick this bend into the tuner hole down in the headstock and start winding it will catch and start winding up.you'll notice on the GBE string pairs that the tuners are opposite side/rear then the other three EAD string pairs.Hope this helps

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:03 am 

Howdy,

When replacing strings, I replace first the slotted strings followed by the others (See Below For the Order). Before that, whether I am using the R tailpiece or the Trapeze tailpiece, I place all of the strings in the slots and place a small piece of masking tape on the bottom side of the tailpiece to hold them in place and place a cotton diaper (Unused of course) underneath to keep the tailpiece from scratching the body. The actual order that I restring is:
11-2-9-4-7-6-12-1-10-3-8-5
The reason I do it this way is to balance the R or the Trapeze tailpiece while restringing. This works for me, and it takes about 15 minutes with the older style slotting. As I do not own a Rickenbacker with the newer through the headstock slotting, I cannot speak on those. I would imagine that it would be a bit easier.

Steve
"A Splendid Time Is Guaranteed For All"

Board index » Setup And Technical