Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Thin neck, big hands
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:04 am 

Hi
I've just bought a 1992 330.12. Love at first sight.
But for the last thirty five years (yes, I'm that old) I've been playing Guild 12 string acoustics.
How do you guys play these lovely machines? Bottom open C and E chords are impossible.
Any tips ?(like losing weight...No, I'm fairly average build, medium gloves fit me. Maybe I should take them off when I play...)
Seriously though, why do Ric insist on maintaining a six-string neck for a 12-string model (apart from financial reasons.)?
Yet I sit and polish it everyday, and play high up the neck, hoping things will turn out all right one day.
And maybe it will: I'm a great optimist.
Love and peace

Post subject: Re: Thin neck, big hands
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:16 am 

I also have a Guild 12 acoustic and yes, my Ric 360/12 is slender! Even with my XL mitts I can still (just) play cleanly on it if I really arch my fingers. As I learned from the Roger McGuinn DVD, there are some adjustments to your playing that you can make, like E and Am chords with 2 fingers rather than 3. You can also tune it down a few semitones and capo it back it up to get a little more width. Now, you shouldn't make a habit of this as it's not good for the neck, but 2 weeks tuned to D, then another 2 weeks tuned to Eb might help your fingers get used to it.

If all else fails, you could change the nut for one that gives you a little more separation of each pair of strings. There are threads about this on the forum if you search.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:28 am 

Kevin
very many thanks for your speedy reply. I've only just joined the forum!
Hope you didn't reply because it says I'm a groupie... Don't know how that came up, and I can't seem to edit it out...
Back to the guitar: I will try the two-finger trick, but not the capo, thanks all the same. The joy of buying a Ric (apart from its sheer beauty) was that I now have a 12-string that is in concert pitch (my Guild is tuned way down, with a bottom of 056. That's heavy.)
Love and peace from the UK

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:56 am 

That "groupie" status is set by your message count. It will change...if you stick around long enough and post!

My acoustic 12s are at concert pitch, with 10 thru 47s on them (I think) but Guilds are built like tanks, so it shouldn't be a problem. But 56 is heavy indeed!

Keep plugging away at that 330 then!

- Kevin in NYC (but I'm really an escapee from Liverpool)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:29 am 

As you might guess, this issue has been discussed ... oh ... maybe a thousand times.

Instead of me regurgitating the various opinions, it would just be easier if you did a search on past threads.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:59 am 

Welcome to the forum, Ric-o-chet. The twelve string nut that RIC has been selling for the past ten years or so in their Boutique has slightly wider string pair spacing. It's a small amount, but many say it makes a world of difference.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:05 pm 

Thanks to you all for responding.
I have to say, being new to the World of Ric,and hopefully without sounding too sick-o-fantic, that this is the friendliest site I have encountered. In fact, I am tad worried that I'm spending too much time reading through the thousands of discussions rather than practising, or more importantly in my case,trying to arch those fingers...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:03 pm 

Hi Ric-o-chet-

I am 6'3" and have large hands and long fingers. I've found that while the usual Ric nut width of 1.63" is only slightly narrower than the usual 1.68" on Gibson, Fender, etc, the slightly narrower string spacing is more pronounced near the 12th fret, which is 1.93" or so compared to 2.1" on most brands.

I don't spend much time up on those frets, but I can tell you that the longer you play, the easier is it. I am certainly not an expert player, but I am glad I stuck with it and got past my initial impressions. You do learn to curl your fingers a bit more and play with your true fingertips, and I've found that in some cases, certain chords that require the full width of the neck are actually easier to play.

Another option to get Rickenbacker design and sound is the 660/6 or 660/12, both of which have a 1.75" nut, significantly wider not only than most other Rics, but also most other electrics from other brands. The 650 series is also the same wider nut and neck width as the 660.

Stick with it and you'll be glad you did!

Welcome to the list and enjoy the guitar!

Best,
Brad

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:59 am 

Quote:
Welcome to the forum, Ric-o-chet. The twelve string nut that RIC has been selling for the past ten years or so in their Boutique has slightly wider string pair spacing. It's a small amount, but many say it makes a world of difference.

I have an '88 360/12V64 and I had fingering issues with an '83 360/12WB I had previously. The chords that you have trouble with Ric-o-chet, I had the exact same problems; I should add that I'm a small guy but my fingers are like little link sausages....same size as B.B. King's in lenght and width.

For some reason, it's far easier for me to play 1st position chords - or "cowboy chords" - on the 360/12V64. The neck is slimmer on this guitar than the WB's neck, but the string spacings aren't crowded and it's as comfortable as any regular 6 string electric I've played. When I owned the WB, I did the same things that the McGuinn method recommended, tho' I've never seen it. You'll gradually grow accustomed to the differential the more you play your Ric. Like they say, "If there's a will, there's a way".

I completely relate to your thickness issue; I play Les Pauls as my main guitars, with necks as thick as Louisville Slugger baseball bats & strung with medium guage strings. Just keep at it, it'll get easier. Cheers!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:26 pm 

Just a note to say thanks to everybody above who has taken time out to reply and pass on advice and information.
I still find it amazing, even after all these computer years, that I can write a note, press a button and instantly converse with people from towns I grew up looking for on world maps; historic, glamourous and far, far away.
It seems that if we musos were left to our own devices, the world would be a far better place, but that just isn't in the scheme of things. Sad ain't it?
Just had my first recording session with the 330/12 and it was a delight, a great sound, even with hi-gains.
I'm not gonna change a thing. That's how it was bought, that's how it will stay.
Love and peace
dave.

ps 'Cowboy chords'. That's cowboyist, but still bloody funny.

Board index » Setup And Technical