Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: E string acting up!!
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:07 am 

Hi first post here.

I just got home from NYC to Sweden ^^
And with a brand spnaking new Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo.
mmmm ^^

Well, now to the sad part. The E string doesn't give the volume response you would expect it to. It's drowned by the other strings if i play chords or just really "not there"

I'm hanging over at talkbass.com and they tipped me to get a new amp. Playing through a custom 100W with a 15" celestion membrane. But the thing is that my Gibson Thunderbird Studio works really good through the amp.

And they said i could raise the pickups at the E end...

Any thoughts???

Post subject: Re: E string acting up!!
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:04 am 

Welcome to the forum, Wh4len. Your brand, spanking new 4003 should have adjustable pole higain pickups on it. You might try adjusting your E pole pieces in conjunction with raising the pickup on that side. If you're still not getting results to your satisfaction, it's possible that you have a dead string.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:59 pm 

ok adjustable poles. does it mean that the pickuppoles can be raised seperatly? If so, how?

Dead string???

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:14 pm 

If the poles on your higain pickups have a hexagonal opening in the yop of them (for an Allen key) they are adjustable individually.

Yes, it is possible for a string to go dead, causing anything from not ringing like the others, to less volume.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:39 pm 

ok, checked, couldn't really see any hexagonal screwholes. didn't really look so well.

So a dead string is like the center string (inside the string) is busted or? What constitutes a dead string?

So change of strings... does it have to be rickenbackers strings or is it ok with another brand like ernie ball or warwick???

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:03 pm 

First of all, did you try adjusting the pickup height on that side. That's the easist thing to try first, and it doesn't cost anything. If that doesn't halp, since it's only one string that's lower in volume, get a single replacement string. that way, if it doesn't fix it. you can always put the old string back on (to keep a matched set), and you're only out the cost of one string.

You can use strings other than Rickenbacker, but try to stay with lower tension strings.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:18 pm 

ok... i tried to change the pickups height.... the bridge was really easy and it was actually a bit better but not satisfactory.... the neck however was a real bitch and wouldn't really come up much, went a little easy on it, don't want to harm the screws.

But adjusting the poles in the pickups was proving really difficult. I couldn't find a hex that would fit it.... it kinda looks like a hexscrew.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:41 am 

You'll need an SAE set of hex keys - They're not metric.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:46 am 

my new-ish 4003 has a flappy E as well, even with the action up at 8/64". As posted on other thread, I am using a .095 for the E, and am gonna go up to a.100. What are you using?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:13 am 

just added a 100 ernie ball super slinky today... it sounded better, but a little low still. It made it through a band rehersal pretty well. It actually cut through the sound pretty well but it's to low still... gaaaah. And i've raised the bridge pickup too....

The front pickup has still refused to budge. Well.... i hope tips are gonna keep coming in.

Board index » Setup And Technical