Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Blazing Saddles
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:44 pm 

A couple of you have mentioned having your Rick 12 slightly out of tune to enhance the chorus effect or jangle. The arrangement of the pairs (with the smaller string underneath) is, I believe, responsible for the Rick 12's unique sound. I'm no expert, but I have owned and gigged several Rick 12's since '73. In my experience, a straight neck, correct intonation and accurate tuning is a must. 12 string guitars have twice as many opportunities for harsh overtones and harmonics at stage volume. It may sound good unplugged, sitting on the couch, but it'll sound like a trainwreck at volume if it's not properly tuned. I have the 12 saddle McGuinn bridge on all three of my Rick 12's and I like 'em. Some folks say the mass of the bridge changes the sound. I haven't noticed it. Some guitars intonate fine with a 6 saddle bridge. Go figure! I wouldn't be inclined to encourage anyone to go for anything less than optimum tuning with a 12 string, and just wanted to get it off my chest. Then, of course, there's the caveat, "Your mileage may vary"! Cheers, Dr.Phil

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:27 am 

Quote:
Just out of interest, my other ahem, discovery/invention/ok, habit...
Does anyone else out there play bottom A chord using the index finger on 2nd fret A, the second finger on 2nd fret E and third finger on 2nd fret C#
i.e instead of fingering 1,2,3 use 2,1,3.

I've always gone with the 2,3,4 fingering on an open A unless I'm using either the 2nd or 3rd to barre it.
...and on the 12 saddle Q, both my 360/12WB and gone but not forgotten 660/12 had the 12 saddle and personally, I like 'em that way....and perfectly in tune, too.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:49 am 

Depending on where I'm going next, I'll finger a chord, any chord, in a number of different ways or variations.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:00 am 

I am a lefty that just couldn't get good intonation until I got one and have used them ever since. Would NEVER get a guitar set up without. I have tried both 6 and 12 saddle. To me there is no comparison but I am a Lefty that flips righties.

Board index » Setup And Technical