Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: minor wood repair putty?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:16 pm 

Hello-

While tuning my guitar I noticed that the shop that did the setup/intonation (and where I bought my Ric) screwed one of the truss-rod cover screws in at a slight angle. I removed it and put it back in normally, but now it is slightly loose, though not loose enough to just fall out.

Before I go into the shop to complain, is there a wood putty (or something similar) that I can use to fill the hole completely and re-insert the screw securely in it's original position (flat and flush with the truss-rod cover)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Post subject: Re: minor wood repair putty?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:50 pm 

Your best bet for a sure repair would be to fill the hole with wood. A toothpick would work. Put some yellow wood glue on the end of the toothpick and insert it into the hole. Snap the toothpick off flush with the surface of the headstock, and let it dry 24 hours. Then you can drill a new pilot hole, and screw your TRC back into place. The new wood and wood glue will help heep the hole from stripping out again. The wood putty will not.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:26 am 

What BeatleFreak said, but I'd either pre-cut the piece of toothpick or gently remove the excess with a sharp Exacto or utility knife to get a good flush surface to make it easier to redrill the pilot hole.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:38 am 

Yup. Actually any piece of wood will do the do; a matchstick, a toothpick or even a twig from a tree on your property. I've used all of the above on occasion throughout the years. Glue is optional, just as long as the filler wood is of size and tightly fits any space created by the original screw. I recently used a piece of a maple twig to cure a stripped strap button hole and it's actually stronger now than before the screwhole became enlarged.

Another option would be to use a filler of sawdust and a quality wood glue, making a mixture of the two - kinda like wood putty. Fill the hole with the mixture and then allow it to dry and settle over night. Afterward, replace the screw. The bond will be tight and it'll be as good as new. Best of luck!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:47 am 

Here are some illustrated instructions from a well known luthier...

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musicia ... crew1.html

Make sure you read the "cautions" too!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:54 am 

Thanks much for all the great advice. I'll give it a try tonight.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:04 am 

After taking the truss rod cover off, it appears to be more complicated.

I have a photo of it here:
http://www.hansonphotography.com/rickenbacker/

It looks like the triangular shape rickenbacker cut for the truss rods was too far to the right, so when they inserted the screw on the right bottom side of the TRC, there wasn't enough wood on the left side of that hole to secure the screw properly. In fact, the hole is only partially into wood as the left part of what would have been the hole is open to the air chamber for the two truss rod adjusters. The whole on the right is the hole drilled by the screw when the tech at the guitar shop tried to secure the TRC with that same screw. I can tell this because the TRC hole on the bottom right is now slightly elongated, although it was perfect when I bought the guitar.

I'm not sure how to fix the original hole since it isn't really a hole but half a hole. No pun intended!

Is is something that would be a warranty claim? I don't even know how Rickenbacker would be able to fix it as there are only two options that I can think of, 1 of them relatively easy, 1 of them relatively extreme:
1. Repair the screw hole with some sort of putty or wood substitute to hold the screw solidly and allow the screw to go in perfectly upright.
2. Replace the neck (part of the body as the neck goes all the way through the body of the 620 with two other pieces of wood glued on to comprise the body of the guitar).

-Brad

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:51 pm 

I think I'd be calling Customer Service to discuss this with them.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:33 pm 

Hi Kevin-

I think I will. If nothing else at least to get their perspective. In the grand scheme of things, it's extremely minor, so I'm hoping that the toothpick and wood glue I inserted in the original drilled hole will be enough. Since the TRC is actually just a cosmetic cover, it's not subject to much use until/if there is another truss rod adjustment.

Thanks,
Brad

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:39 pm 

I have seen this on more than one Rick guitar and bass.

Look at it this way: On the final assembly table, the Rick tech positions the TRC so that it is butted against the nut, and centered on the headstock. He or she then carefully drills the holes for the TRC, using the TRC as a template. The screws are then installed, using a power screwdriver, I assume on a low torque setting.

There would probably be little indication to the tech that the screw was partially in air, if it threaded into the wood and stopped at the right point. The TRC is not removed at the factory to check hole placement. Hence this problem.

The few I've seen like this are all older models. I would think that this is a thing of the past, as the guitars and hole locations are MUCH more consistent nowadays.

You did not mention whether this is an older or new Rick, whether it is under warranty or not. From the photo, I'll venture a guess that it's an older example, and not under warranty. To call RIC Customer Service would probably not be helpful.

Board index » Setup And Technical