Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Truss Rod Adjustments
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:05 am 

Hello...

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first Rickenbacker (a used 2002 620 FG). I know that guitar is coming strung with 9 gauge strings and I'd like to set it up with 10's when it arrives. I know that Ricks have 2 truss rods so is it best to try to make sure they are both adjusted equally? If they are not adjusted the same way will this cause any twisting of the neck?

I'm sure this seems like a goofy question but I'm new to Rickenbackers and really don't want to screw anything up!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Truss Rod Adjustments
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:25 am 

Quote:
I know that Ricks have 2 truss rods so is it best to try to make sure they are both adjusted equally?

Ideally, yes, you'd want to adjust them both the same. But there might be times when they need to be adjusted a little differently from one another. Your best bet is to get a 24" metal scale (ruler). That way, you can check for absolute neck flatness on both sides of the neck, and adjust each truss rod accordingly. Just place the scale on edge along the length of the neck on one side (on top of the frets). If there's a gap in the middle, the truss rod on that side needs to be tightened. If there's a gap at either (or both) ends, the truss rod needs to be loosened. No more than a quarter turn each, with a 24 hour waiting period in between adjustments. You can play the guitar during that time. Adjust each side of the neck for dead flat, then set your bridge height for lowest possible action with no buzz. The final step would be to set intonation.

Keep in mind that if the Rickenbacker your adjusting the truss rods on is a 1985 or earlier model, you cannot just adjust the truss rods. For these vintage models, the neck must be bent manually into position after lossening the truss rods, then snugging the truss rods up. This is to prevent the fretboard from possibly popping off.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I know that guitar is coming strung with 9 gauge strings and I'd like to set it up with 10's when it arrives.

That guitar leaves the factory with our 10 gauge string set(SKU#95403).

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:44 am 

Thanks for the info folks...

I figured that it was probably best to have them both set the same. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something... Better to be safe than sorry.

I know that Ricks come from the factory with 10's on them - but the 620 I just bought is used... Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:38 pm 

Re 4001 truss-rod adjustments.

I understand the neck has to be moved to prevent popping the fingerboard. Can anyone explain the process in detail where the bass has up-bow, and vice-versa?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:07 pm 

Ignore my last post; finally found a thread with info.

Board index » Setup And Technical