Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: what pickups ??
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:44 pm 

HI, newbie here, needing some advice

been playing my 360/6 for about two years now and cant really get "that" sound,(i.e. 60s jangly; despite going through a top boost AC30 and some compression/sustain!!) as i read more and more forums like this it appears its the fault of the Hi gain pickups fitted, should i change to vintage toaster, obviously i've seen them for sale around at $100 a piece, but these seem to be the same thing and are much cheaper,......have a look....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &sspagenam

does anybody know anything about them...are they a good substitute for real ric pickups or crap sounding....and one last thing...if i DO change to real rics vintage toasters WILL i hear a difference????

Post subject: Re: what pickups ??
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:57 pm 

Catboy,

Welcome!

These pickups you have the link to are minihumbuckers rather than single coils, so they won't actually sound like toasters. Despite the look of a toaster, it is actually a single coil. The closest RIC sound will be the RIC Humbuckers - which will be darker than your hi-gains.

Secondly, I suspect that the shape of these pickups may be in breach of RIC intellectual property rights, though I would leave that to a RIC authority to make the call. If so, the auction will be closed down pronto.... as would be proper.

Lastly, have you tried using different strings to get the brighter jangly sound? It is amazing how much difference a little thing like this can make.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:18 pm 

aha, thought it might be too good to be true, might just shell out for the real thing!!.....

....what strings would you recomend?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:42 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Catboy. If you want genuine Rickenbacker sound, stay with genuine Rickenbacker pickups. The toasters will definitely give you a different sound from the hi-gains, and you should see that famous jangle come to the forefront. Though both types of pickups are single coils, the toaster uses alnico pole pieces, while the hi-gain has a ceramic magnet. In addition, the toaster is wound to approximately 7.5k ohms, the hi-gain is wound to about 11k. Two completely different animals.

Different strings can make a difference also. I, like many forumites, use D'Addario strings. They're good, consistant quality, readily available from most retailers, and inexpensive.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:53 pm 

First you should try original Rickenbacker strings, if you have not done already. The second thing to do is to exchange your pickups for the Rickenbacker toaster pickups. It is very likely that this will be the solution for your problem.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:54 pm 

thanks for all the advice it looks like toasters it has to be, and some proper ric strings ( i honestly hadnt thought of this Doh!)....

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:34 am 

I emailed the guy selling the fake toaster. He sent me a picture of the inside of the pickup. They're just that: fake toasters. One coil. Definitely NOT humbuckers.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:36 pm 

Yeh, D'Addario strings for my guitars; Rotos and Warwicks for da basses.

I bought a 7.4K toaster for my BlueBoy 4003 last year from a UK Company called Snakesound. They're also on Uk eBay. They do authentic kit.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:48 pm 

Quote:
I emailed the guy selling the fake toaster. He sent me a picture of the inside of the pickup. They're just that: fake toasters. One coil. Definitely NOT humbuckers.

Errmm.. I thought toasters WERE single coils?? This thread's got me worried, now. How do I know for sure my toaster is a Rick one?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Errmm.. I thought toasters WERE single coils?? This thread's got me worried, now. How do I know for sure my toaster is a Rick one?

Hmm...double whammy - the listing Catboy originally linked to called them minihumbuckers - which was wrong. That means they're real fake toasters, rather than fake fake toasters... Now I'm confused!

On whether your toaster is a real one Toastie, I'm sure you got it from a reputable RIC dealer, didn't you?

Board index » Setup And Technical