Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: iiipopes vintage tone mod
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:59 am 

Popes,

I'm late to this thread but if I may ask, what is a vintage tone mod?

My guitar is a 1966 370-12, (what could sound more vintage than that?), I modified the controls to a basic On-Off switch for each pickup, and a Master Volume and Tone, both which I never use because they're always at 10. :-))

yes, I have the original pickguard with all the original controls and wiring still there as they came from the factory, I just had a blank bottom pickguard cut to match the original and I drilled new holes in the blank.

would I go back to the original controls? No, I like it like it is. A lot simpler and I have all possible pickup combinations. My favorite is all 3 pickups On, it’s a
very “cutting” and “creamy rich” sound. Roger McGuinn used the 3 pickups sound in the solo of “Mr. Spaceman” and another song in the same album but I keep forgetting the title.

you can see how I modified my controls in the picture link below:

http://zurdo.fileave.com/Ric-Kent-backer.jpg

Zurdo

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:19 pm 

Quote:
Great! Glad to read your post. Thanks. Anybody else?

2 pickup mono version please?

stratobuc@verizon.net

Thanks!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:17 am 

Hey Zurdo -- great guitar. I'm glad you kept the original pickguard on the off chance you ever want to return it to stock.

If it works for you, that is what is most important. I make no claim my mods are the "only" way to do things. I developed them for the following reasons:

1) For me, I do not care for the all-3-pickups-on setting that is the middle selector switch setting of the stock wiring. Likewise, I do not care for the neck and mid pickups together, as that sound to me is nondescript. I am glad that you do get something useful out of that combination, which may speak more to my limitations as a player.

2) When I mod an instrument, any instrument, that I have not designed from scratch, I try to maintain the original functionality of the controls so that when other people play the instrument they are not "weirded out" by non-standard functionality. More than once I've seen people invited up to jam in a variety of settings, handed a guitar with non-standard knob functionality, and get totally lost on the instrument trying to get something out of it before the song is over. So my mods for RIC instruments maintain the same knob functionality that has been the way most RIC guitars have been wired since the early 60's.

Now, when I design an instrument for myself for primary live use, I also like a single main volume and tone configuration, as you have on yours, as it is the most straightforward. But I usually only have two pickups and either a 3-position toggle or a single blade switch in order to keep things as simple as possible on stage.

3) My mods were also inspired by the recent instruments that do not have the .0047 capacitor inline to the bridge pickup, as that is a "vintage" appointment that was probably stock on your instrument as well. Because of what that capacitor does, it is an indispensible element of the overall "vintage" 60's tonalities, including your favorite tones. So my mod diagram uses a push-pull to add that capacitor back into the bridge pickup circuit as well as either/or the neck and middle pickups as is my personal preference, as many people want the tonality of the two-pickup 330 and 360 with the cap in place, but still want an option of more "modern" sounds of the bridge and mid pickup wired straight ahead.

Guys -- I had a brief moment to checkup what's happening, and when I saw Zurdo's post, I had to compliment his guitar and explain why I developed my mods as I have. Thanks again for your patience in my sending out the diagrams. The first week of the month is when all of my meetings of my various other obligations hit, and with this being Labor Day weekend, I do want to take a couple days off. So please give me until the end of next week to get the rest of the diagrams out to you all.

And thanks again for all your interest and enthusiasm. Remember to please use only RIC approved parts, and that modding an instrument still under warranty may void the warranty. These diagrams are what I've done to my own instruments, and it seems others as well as myself have enjoyed the results. Your mileage may vary. I can't warranty any results, as I'm only giving out information, not doing the work. I am not connected with RIC in any way, only a guest poster on this forum, and RIC is gracious to allow the bandwidth to discuss these mods. Thank you again, Mr. JH and crew.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:49 pm 

Thanks for the time and expertise iiipopes. Look forward to hearing the mod. Have a great Holiday!

Steve

Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:48 am 

Popes,
what can I say except thanks for the compliments :-)) and now I understand what you mean by "vintage".

yes, the Center pickup always "takes over", either by itself or in combination with any other, it imparts a certain personality or "sound" all its own, and that is what I like about 3-pickup guitars, and particularly Rickenbacker pickups. They do sound different, don't they?

Zurdo

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:50 pm 

Dear iiipopes

Thanks for all info ,could you send me your modified wiring for my 325V59?

Thanks in advance and best Regards from Parys

my email:
lordarys@free.fr

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:58 am 

Dear iiipopes:

I would love a drawing/schematic for my 330. This little cap has been sitting in my case for a year, so I might as well do something with it.

email: newone88859@hotmail.com

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:29 am 

I would love to see your vintage tone mod drawings as well, might want to try it out on my 330.

Thanks for doing this!

sdockery@mac.com

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:51 am 

Wow! What a hectic two weeks! In addition to all the catch-up after Labor Day, new projects came in at work, 150th year celebrations for the congregation at church, conferences at school with the principal and all the teachers and counselors about getting an IEP in place for my son who has Asperger Syndrome, and organizational meetings for a new Scout troop for special needs boys which my wife and I are on committee and taking an active role. Whew!

Tonight was the first night we all finally had some "down time." So I cooked a slow roast beef dinner topped with sauteed mushrooms in olive oil, onion and jalapeno, layered over Dutch bleu cheese; a baked potato with a variety of toppings, baby-leaf varietal lettuces salad with a special ranch dressing, and fried green tomatoes in olive oil with a dash of salt and pepper. All from my own kitchen and my own hands, with a great bottle of Shiraz.

And now, to the diagrams:

Ric-O-Buc -- done.

parys -- done.

re_knitter -- done.

StringTheorist -- done.

For all those who requested the 330 mod, if in the meantime you want to know what it will sound like, unscrew your pickguard and take a gum-wrapper-sized piece of aluminum foil and wrap it around the .0047 cap touching both leads, effectively taking the capacitor out of the circuit. Then you can see if you want to do the whole mod.

Thanks again for your patience. Enjoy!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:45 pm 

"iiipopes can you please send vintage tone mod
for a 350v63
to
palo001@aol.com

thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 30  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical