Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: iiipopes vintage tone mod
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 pm 

I find the Whammy octave tone way too shrill, and can't imagine it sounding any good with a 12 string.

A MXR Dyna Comp, used by McGuinn himself, is the best for me.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:04 pm 

I have an MXR which is a good compression pedal. However, the philosophers tone in my opinion sounds much better in my opinion. You can dial in the philosophers tone which I don't have on the MXR.

I was talking about the Whammy DT with the harmony built in. There are multiple adjustments and you can make it as mellow as you want. Try it, then make the judgement. You might like it.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:42 pm 

rkrric wrote:
I have an MXR which is a good compression pedal. However, the philosophers tone in my opinion sounds much better in my opinion. You can dial in the philosophers tone which I don't have on the MXR.

I was talking about the Whammy DT with the harmony built in. There are multiple adjustments and you can make it as mellow as you want. Try it, then make the judgement. You might like it.

The Whammy detune is a cool chorus effect, but I've never cared for chorus on a twelve-string.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:55 pm 

iiipopes wrote:
My mods do not work with the new switch. The older push-pull was a DPDT, so I could have both the in/out of the .0047 inline capacitor to the bridge pickup along with the either/or middle/neck pickup on a 3-pickup guitar.

Hi iiipopes & everyone else here,

I'm a long-time 'listener', first-time caller. I'm looking to acquire a 370 in the near future, specifically for the 3 pickups. I have read many times that the middle PU does not produce a greatly different sound (although I also understand that iiipopes found that the bridge & middle PU together without the .0047 inline capacitor has a unique sound which I'm keen to hear for myself!).

My original, and perhaps still my main reason, for seeking a 3-PU Rick was to interchange PU types - was thinking of having a toaster at the neck, hi-gain in the middle, and possibly a humbucker at the bridge (or a Hi-gain, or a toaster - not sure about the bridge - any opinions anyone?).

Anyway iiipopes, I was wondering if the diagrams for re-wiring were still available? I already own a 360/12c63 and a 620/12, so who knows? - I may wish to adjust the 620/12 at some stage (it has 2 Hi-gains - love the bridge PU but may consider swapping out the neck PU to a toaster), and possibly change the neck PU on a 4003 I have too, so if it's OK by you, please send all the diagrams ;) :)

I realize that I need the older pots for this, but I'll worry about that later...

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm 

iiipopes wrote:
My mods do not work with the new switch. The older push-pull was a DPDT, so I could have both the in/out of the .0047 inline capacitor to the bridge pickup along with the either/or middle/neck pickup on a 3-pickup guitar.

Hi iiipopes & everyone else here,

I'm a long-time 'listener', first-time caller. I'm looking to acquire a 370 in the near future, specifically for the 3 pickups. I have read many times that the middle PU does not produce a greatly different sound (although I also understand that iiipopes found that the bridge & middle PU together without the .0047 inline capacitor has a unique sound which I'm keen to hear for myself!).

My original, and perhaps still my main reason, for seeking a 3-PU Rick was to interchange PU types - was thinking of having a toaster at the neck, hi-gain in the middle, and possibly a humbucker at the bridge (or a Hi-gain, or a toaster - not sure about the bridge - any opinions anyone?).

Anyway iiipopes, I was wondering if the diagrams for re-wiring were still available? I already own a 360/12c63 and a 620/12, so who knows? - I may wish to adjust the 620/12 at some stage (it has 2 Hi-gains - love the bridge PU but may consider swapping out the neck PU to a toaster), and possibly change the neck PU on a 4003 I have too, so if it's OK by you, please send all the diagrams ;) :)

light (underscore) sculpter (at) yahoo (dot) co (dot) uk

I realize that I need the older pots for this, but I'll worry about that later...

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:05 pm 

Hi. I have a stock standard 370 with hi-gain pups. I'd love a copy of your mod ... email addy is danny(dot)rowe(at)outlook(dot)com.

Cheers!
DR

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:59 pm 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
rkrric wrote:
I've never cared for chorus on a twelve-string.

Indeed. Here's why: not only does the .0047 capacitor on the bridge pickup act as a high-pass filter, but (without full digression into the physics and math) everything above the hinge frequency is shifted 90 degrees, kind of like its own built in chorusing.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:08 pm 

Twanger wrote:

Sorry about the late reply. Yes, you'll need the older push-pull for the 3-pickup version of the mods. But on a 2-pickup instrument, either the older version or the newer version, like on the 4003 basses, can be used, since the only thing happening on a 2-pickup guitar is the bypassing of the .0047 inline capacitor to the bridge pickup.

Diagram on your email.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:55 pm 

Hi All,

I was directed here from a thread I started:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15586

In summary, I'm looking to understand what is generally considered to be "vintage" spec wiring (including pot/cap values and locations) of a 2006 5-control 330 6 string Rick. Specifically, I was hoping to clarify whether a "vintage" Rick would have run 250k volumes and 500k tones/5th knob.

iiipopes - I understand you have various wiring diagrams dealing with this subject? If you don't mind, I'd be very grateful if you are able to send the following diagrams:

- "Bone stock" vintage Rick wiring (no bells and whistles or push/pull pots etc)
- The mod referred to as your "iipopes vintage tone mod" which I understand allows switching between "vintage" and "new"

Hopefully between the two I can choose one to go with.

In addition to the wiring itself, I'd be keen to hear anyone's thoughts re: the tonal changes introduces by going to a "vintage". The reason I am exploring this change in the first place is due to a percieved mid-heaviness or "barky" characteristic to the Rick as it is currently wired (with 330ks). I have heard via this very forum that the change to (potentially?) 250k/500k lends the sound a more scooped or flatter response, which is exactly what I am looking to achieve by performing the mod. Any thoughts or experience here would be gratefully received!

Email is aidan_gordon -at- bigpond.com

Really appreciate your time!!

RickenPickin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:28 pm 

Folks, I think I missed some of the posts at the top of this page. Also, I just got back from a Sister Cities trip to Isesaki, Japan, where I got to play in my band for their annual festival. No, I didn't take my 4002 because they supplied the backline. Much easier than trying to fly with an instrument.

In any event, please give me a couple of days to catch up and I'll send out diagrams and answer questions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical