Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: hi gain pickup question
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:50 am 

Has the design and maker of the higain pickup changed
sinced the early 80's.?..i have a 1982 360/12 and a 2000 of the same model...the pickups on the 1982 sound a lot better and brighter...a LOT brighter..i'm sticking toasters on the 2000 model as i do not like the sound AT ALL...anybody know..?

Post subject: Re: hi gain pickup question
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The design hasn't changed since then and we've ALWAYS been the maker of Rickenbacker pickups. Any chance that either set has been modified along the way?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:07 am 

thatS WHAT I'M THINKING..i think the 82 had some pickup mods..i am not gonna take it apart to look inside it, as i love it just as it is..a new nut has also been recut in reverse ..the octave strings are on top....i love the way it plays and feels and sounds...so, yea maybe someone did mod the pickups too, as both guitars played thru the same amp on same settings sounds very different..i tried to read the ohm ratings on the pickups from the 2 guitars but i dont know how to do it....i thought you just set your meter to ohms and touch the leads to positive and negative on the guitar plug..but i got no reading..but i know the meter works...anybody tell me what how to do it..?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:32 pm 

If the '82 sounds much brighter, could the pickups be reversed? I did this to my '88 Hi-Gain 360 and it made the bass pickup MUCH brighter and clearer - before it was so muddy I rarely (if ever) used it. The bridge pickup is more midrangy now but not that much, especially when set further from the strings.

To check the pickups, turn all the knobs up full except for the mixer which should be full down. Put a guitar cord into the jack and connect the meter probes to the other end. Set it to the 20K range. Flip the switch to the bass pickup or the treble pickup to check their resistance - the resistance of the pot is almost negligible when the controls are full up.

If it's stock, you should get about 12K for the bass pickup and about 7K for the treble. If it's the other way round, the pickups have been swapped. If you get no reading at all for the treble pickup it's got the vintage-style wiring with a blocking cap fitted, which makes the treble pickup much brighter still.

Or possibly, if you're getting no readings at all, maybe someone has fitted blocking caps to BOTH pickups...

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:54 am 

You're '82 is probably capped......& your newer gtr not!

My '80 330 had the .47 caps in & I prefer the more modern sound, so I replaced the wiring loom with a new one.

Pickups swapped? The bridge pick up has a wider pole spacing than the neck, so it is very unlikely....

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:25 am 

Quote:
Pickups swapped? The bridge pick up has a wider pole spacing than the neck, so it is very unlikely....

The spacing is different, but as I said above I've swapped them in mine and it works perfectly well - even though I've also widened the string spacing at the bridge saddles to 50mm (2mm wider than standard). The strings still pass fully over the polepieces of both pickups, and you don't even notice the different spacing unless you're specifically looking for it.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:08 pm 

To bypass the cap all you have to do is tightly twist (or solder) a piece of wire on the lead on either side of the cap. Simple & completely reversible.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:33 am 

And if you don't like the tone of the high-gains, you can always unwrap them to @8kohms - then they sound indistinguishable from toasters on tape.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm 

Let's make a clarification on a couple of these technical aspects. First, the value of the capacitor in question is 0.0047 microfarads. we don't want anyone sticking a 0.47 microfarad cap in their guitar.

Secondly, the cap is not a 'blocking' or 'bypass' cap, which would be used to block DC. It is a filter cap. The cap and volume control act as a high pass filter to roll off the low end.

Board index » Setup And Technical