Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Replacing Pickups
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:54 am 

Lately I've been giving some thought to replacing the hi-gain pickups in my early 80's 360-12 with vintage toaster repros. I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has done this. Is it worth the cost? Are there any other considerations to take into account?

Thank you for any assistance.

Post subject: Re: Replacing Pickups
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:41 am 

Since Rick pickups are just a solder at one point and screw down in the same holes, it does not really affect the value of the guitar so long as you keep the original pickups to change back later.

Assuming you have the standard of the time @7kohms in the bridge through the inline capacitor and @12kohms in the neck on a 24 fret neck; I liked the bridge sound and just unwound the neck pickup to @8kohms to better match the bridge pickup. On tape it is indistinguishable from a toaster, and the lighter wind gives me more tone options, including full neck with just a touch of bridge to get a quasi-acoustic tone, which you can't get on a 21 fret neck because of the nodal characteristic "picture" of sound the pickup is actually "seeing" is different because of the different pickup placement.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:05 pm 

Quote:
Lately I've been giving some thought to replacing the hi-gain pickups in my early 80's 360-12 with vintage toaster repros. I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has done this. Is it worth the cost? Are there any other considerations to take into account?

Thank you for any assistance.

Howdy,

I've never done it, but I have played Ric's with changed pickups. As previous stated in another post, it is an easy change and can be changed back to it's original state as long as you keep the original pickups. The toasters are not as hot as the hi gains, but the tone is incredible. To compensate, all that you have to do is to turn the volume up slightly on your amp.

Steve

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:23 pm 

It depends upon the type of music you play and the sound you want to achieve. If you're looking for a Sixties sound, by all means change to toasters. If the sound you want is a little more modern than that, stick with the high gains.

Board index » Setup And Technical