Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Concert For George-Where were the Rics???
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:41 pm 

A RIC is a Strat but not ein dein RIC es mucho caliente but das RIC is der best. RIC 1, Strat - nada. (Please use Universal Translator for this page)

MMM

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:52 pm 

:-)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:08 pm 

Quote:
I liked the concert. Doesn't matter if they were playing Rics or not (although if Tom Petty used his '65 360/12MG on "I Need You" and "Handle With Care", that would have been OK).

Andy Fairweather-Low (originally a session musician in the late '70s, notable for his work on the "Who Are You" LP by The Who, played then (and still today, I think) with Eric Clapton) played the Fender Electric XII on "If I Needed Someone".
And it sounded dam good too,

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:12 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Isn't it a pity ? Well guys, for me it was only logical : George's 12 string *was* there on stage and it was *him* to introduce it to the world of rock'n'roll so I understand it out of some kind of respect to him that no Rick was played by anybody else on this special event ... that would have been the real heresy ! To expose his magic guitar on a stand with nobody else playing a Rick was the upmost honour and respect given to him and this brand ! ...and even without Ricks this DVD is still one of my favourites !...because of the music :-)

+1

Well said, xpitt.
I agree well said, burns me up when people have to downgrade a great performence, because thier instrument of choice wasent played, ya know what, suck it up, get over it, the concert was fabulous, the perfomences were great, and the tribute was one of the best I have ever seen, enjoy it and respect it for what it was,

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:01 pm 

I hadn't noticed that any particular equipment was or wasn't played. It was a concert celebrating the life and music of George, not a Rickenbacker, (or any other guitar) showcase.

With or without the Ric 12 string, or the Gretch guitars, or the Daphne Blue Strat, or.....it really didn't matter what guitar George used, they all sound like him.

My favorite bit was "Something". The transition from Paul solo on a Uke to the full band was nicely done.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:36 am 

Wait a minute, partner.
Nobody is "downgrading" (as you say) a single thing here.

But, it's sorta like saluting Porsche sport cars and everyone turns up driving Fiats or Plymouth Dusters.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:05 am 

Quote:
Andy Fairweather-Low (originally a session musician in the late '70s, notable for his work on the "Who Are You" LP by The Who...

Andy Fairweather-Low is best known for being the lead singer with UK band Amen Corner in the late 60's
with hits like: (If Paradise Is) Half As Nice, Hello Suzie and Bend Me Shape Me (a more popped-up version of the American Breed song).

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:27 am 

Quote:
I got around to watch the so excellent "Concert for George" which I rented from Netflx.

I can't say enough good things about it except:
-The guitar and bass players had a nasty extreme love affair going on with all things Fender.

Sorry, davclr, but I do not think that the choice of guitars was the only thing to criticise about this concert. For me as a George Harrison fan, watching the DVD was a very sad and disappointing experience.

In my opinion this DVD is a proof that the magic of George´s music cannot be reproduced without him. If you compare the DVD to live recordings of the Bangladesh concert, the 1974 tour and the Japan tour of the 90s, you will suddenly realize how difficult these Harrison songs are to sing and how great his own attempts (though often criticised) have been - while the attempts by Eric Clapton, his guests and band are, well, not as good.

What is more I have read a book by Klaus Voormann in which he bitterly complains about the way Eric Clapton is treating George´s legacy. And without being able to give an exact account of the things Voormann reports, I believe he is right with some of his bitter words about Eric.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:32 am 

Quote:
I hadn't noticed that any particular equipment was or wasn't played. It was a concert celebrating the life and music of George, not a Rickenbacker, (or any other guitar) showcase.

With or without the Ric 12 string, or the Gretch guitars, or the Daphne Blue Strat, or.....it really didn't matter what guitar George used, they all sound like him.

My favorite bit was "Something". The transition from Paul solo on a Uke to the full band was nicely done.
I thought that was very clever and classy the way they performed it too.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:57 am 

Great Concert to commemorate an Icon in the industry!!!

George played a number of different instruments as versatile as 'he' was.

To reduce him to a "Rickenbacker endorsee" is to do him a great injustice.

Daveclr.... Get a Freakin' life!!!

Rickenbacker are fine... no great guitars but what the world does not need right now is another religion.

Who cares who played what during what was otherwise a memorable tribute to a lovely, kind and talented man. He obviously was loved enough by many of his friends in the industry to go to great and undoubtedly emotional lengths to partake in this tribute. The fact that no one played a RIC means nothing of any significance.

End of rant!!!

Rickenbacker's are fine... actually great guitars but in no way deserve any sort of religious status. This sort of thread is a fine topic of discussion but started out incredibly annoying.

Now.... End of rant !!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events