Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Concert For George-Where were the Rics???
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:51 am 

Harrison used Diminished chords in his songwriting. The Bestles used Augmented chords very early too. I cannot help to think that maybe George Martin influenced their chord vocabulary as they recorded. A hint here, and a hint there from Martin as the songs were recorded.

Zurdo

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:16 am 

I meant to type The Beatles, not "The Bestles".

Zurdo

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:54 am 

I agree with you Zurdo. George Martin's musical knowledge was an integral part of the structure of earlier Beatles songs. In fact, when his influence was less obvious on later albums like Let It Be, has anyone else noticed that the chord changes are not so interesting and many follow a I, IV, V structure? I always found it much more of a challenge to follow the chord structures on early Beatles songbooks. Although I ended up playing bluesy Clapton style lead, I cut my rhythm guitar teeth on "All My Loving". Once you have mastered that, anything else is a breeze!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:09 pm 

Guys, I don't think George himself would have cared one bit.....in fact, I think he would have thought you were all crazy for complaining about something so trivial online...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:21 pm 

Quote:
.... I cut my rhythm guitar teeth on "All My Loving". Once you have mastered that, anything else is a breeze!

:-))

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:41 pm 

Quote:
But, it's sorta like saluting Porsche sport cars and everyone turns up driving Fiats or Plymouth Dusters.

Not exactly; it was a concert for George, not a concert for Rickenbacker

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:48 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
But, it's sorta like saluting Porsche sport cars and everyone turns up driving Fiats or Plymouth Dusters.

Not exactly; it was a concert for George, not a concert for Rickenbacker

It's similar to being upset with Clapton for not knocking on Todd Rundgren's door and asking him if he could borrow his old "The Fool" illustrated SG(now owned by Todd), to play for the Cream reunion tour.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:34 am 

I'm hardly in any way "upset" after viewing this concert on DVD.
It was truly glorious -both sight and sound wise!

But, the obvious question of "why no Rics" none-the-less begs and legitimately needs to be to asked.

It was also quite curious to see how much Clapton remains under the Fender spell (at least at the time this concert was performed).

-On the Beatles originally released commercial recording of "Guitar Weeps", Eric played a Gibson Les Paul which he subsequently gave to George Harrison as a gift back in 1968.

But, at The Concert For George Eric picks away on a Fender while performing his new(er)"Beatle-less" rendition of this great number.

I'm certain that for the "mud guard" boys over in Corona, CA this concert had to have been a "non-dairy creamer."

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:34 pm 

Quote:
I agree with you Zurdo. George Martin's musical knowledge was an integral part of the structure of earlier Beatles songs. In fact, when his influence was less obvious on later albums like Let It Be, has anyone else noticed that the chord changes are not so interesting and many follow a I, IV, V structure? I always found it much more of a challenge to follow the chord structures on early Beatles songbooks. Although I ended up playing bluesy Clapton style lead, I cut my rhythm guitar teeth on "All My Loving". Once you have mastered that, anything else is a breeze!

Many of the famous early Beatles songs - for instance Ask Me Why, PS I Love You, Not A Second Time, It Won't Be Long, and Misery included advanced chords and was already written and played many times live long BEFORE The beatles was introduced to George Martin and Parlophone (listen to the 1962 pirate album from Star Club in Hamburg - it's all there - the chords, the sounds,the voices).

Pauls father used to be a piano player with associations to the British cabaret tradition - and I believe all the diminished, augmented, and the maj7th chords came from there - long before George Martin ever learned to say "rock"... :o)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:39 pm 

Quote:

Darryl,
Let It Be was by The Beatles' own words, an attempt to get back to their 'raw' roots, and some of the songs were songs they wrote very early, like "One after 909".

So you may be hearing very old 1960's songs played 10 years later 'in the raw', no sound processing, nothing, just a live recording.

The difference was that by Let It Be, they were very 'polished' compared to the early years.

Zurdo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events