Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Concert For George-Where were the Rics???
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:05 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
" ... but this downsizeing and trashing of things because you didnt see anybody playing a Ric, is assinine, stupid, and very snobish, makes me sick to stomach, you know what, get over it, dont watch it, or whatever, but whatever you do, stop being ignorrent, and pompous.

And we all most certainly as polite civil people, can continue a discussion here and do far better with it without the totally unnecessary very tacky personal attacks and histronics. Thank you very much.
nothing personal, just call them as I see them.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:36 am 

Friends,
This dvd "Tribute to George" is one of the best videos I've ever seen, not because of its authenticity of instruments, but because it truly IS a tribute to George's music. I was amazed at the reverence the musicians showed for his music by playing it at least with the feeling intended (I thought the uke thing by McCartney was going to go astray on this, but it fell together nicely).
Rics are high-quality instruments which are very desirable and beautiful to behold...and I know this personally, but I'm not sure their scarcity in this tribute (and yeah, I picked that out as well...especially in the case of Tom Petty) outweighs a tribute to great music.
RIP George.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:01 pm 

Quote:
Friends,
This dvd "Tribute to George" is one of the best videos I've ever seen, not because of its authenticity of instruments, but because it truly IS a tribute to George's music. I was amazed at the reverence the musicians showed for his music by playing it at least with the feeling intended (I thought the uke thing by McCartney was going to go astray on this, but it fell together nicely).
Rics are high-quality instruments which are very desirable and beautiful to behold...and I know this personally, but I'm not sure their scarcity in this tribute (and yeah, I picked that out as well...especially in the case of Tom Petty) outweighs a tribute to great music.
RIP George.

I couldn't agree more... really :o) I think Paul's uke version is a true peak point in a true tribute to an old actually very close friend. Remember George and Paul went to school together, the grew up together and sang to the same microphone thru all those Beatles years. Seen from that point of view The Beatles was much more a Harrison-McCartney band than a L-M band.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:32 pm 

The "Concert For George" will be streamed for free for 24 hours on 2/25/11 starting at 8 AM GMT at georgeharrison.com

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:47 am 

I agree with xpitt wholeheartedly. I saw that Guitar on the stand and thought it was one of the most touching things that could have been done in George's name/honour/memory. My only quibble was that we didn't see enough of it.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:51 am 

As an additional aside - it's just possible that the Fender Hockey Stick that Andy Fairweather-Low was playing is the property of Eric Clapton, he certainly favoured that particular brand of electric 12-string and can be seen on a recent ( -ish ) Discovery channel documentary playing a Fender XII and discussing the original Cream recording.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:16 pm 

well..... lots of different thoughts on this one.. All of you have made valid observations..

Great concert...

But the real star of the show was Ravis daughter Anoushka ????

That little gal had me in a trance. Absolute perfection!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:25 pm 

tinman wrote:
well..... lots of different thoughts on this one.. All of you have made valid observations..

Great concert...

But the real star of the show was Ravis daughter Anoushka ????

That little gal had me in a trance. Absolute perfection!

Way to revive an old thread. :lol: 8-)

You know, George and John played Rics for a few years, became icons, and then switched to other instruments. If everyone shows up at a John Lennon tribute concert without a Rickenbacker, I wouldn't make a stink. If someone showed up to an REM or Byrds tribute show, then it would be different. 8-) Plus, all the musicians have their own element, and that involves other brands. It would be strange to see Clapton with a Ric instead of a Strat these days, and the same for other artists. They aren't trying to sound like George; they're trying to bring their own style to George's songs.

That being said, I'm pretty sure it's the fact that Rics are dependable, strong, well made instruments that make them sell; not just the Beatles or the Byrds.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:11 pm 

Since this topic's been revived, let's all remember to be diplomatic in our critiques, so we all make sure to keep the following forum member rule:

"While using our forums, please refrain from making denigrating comments about other forums users"

I would have edited out earlier comments in this topic that crossed the line, had I been a moderator at the time. Post on cheerily, please. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events